We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

prettiest coastal village

ilkley
Level Contributor
81 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
prettiest coastal village

Hello....

We live in the Yorkshire dales, planning a week's holiday in Norfolk in August. I'd be grateful for people's thoughts about where to be, we want to be on the coast for early morning dog walks on the beach, pretty village, not too busy but at least a couple of pubs and a shop, and dog friendly. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Norwich Cathedral
Architectural Buildings, Sacred & Religious Sites, Historic Sites
Happisburgh Owls
Nature & Wildlife Areas
15 replies to this topic
Stroud, United...
Level Contributor
1,149 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: prettiest coastal village

Cley?

West Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
1,626 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: prettiest coastal village

Blakeney?

Solihull
Level Contributor
4,203 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: prettiest coastal village

I have to say that whole coast from Hunstanton in the West to Cromer in the East is stunning. As they say "an area of huge skies and huge beaches",

Maybe stay in Wells Next the Sea?

Maybe not a pretty village but still fairly small with a nice harbour and the HUGE beach (Holkham Beach) plus a few cafes and restaurants and shops.

https://www.wells-guide.co.uk/

We stayed in Hunstanton which has a lovely old Victorian part (though the town may be too busy for you)

Nearby is also Old Hunstanton which may fit the bill as it is very quiet and right on the beach

http://www.tournorfolk.co.uk/hunstanton.html

We also enjoyed Sherringham though again may be too busy for you as it has a steam train that runs from there.

http://www.tournorfolk.co.uk/sheringham.html

To be honest you cant go much wrong with any of those places as they are all fairly small and right on the sea front and it is easy to get in to the "countryside" behind from all of them.

Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
10,971 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: prettiest coastal village

Weybourne, we used to stay regularly at Kelling Heath holiday park and I would walk out to the hill every morning just to look at Weybourne, a perfect village with a windmill and a church, nestling into the hill with it s back to the sea. Unfortunately Kelling Heath itself does not allow dogs.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
706 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: prettiest coastal village

Thorpe Market is my favourite, although not right on the sea.

ilkley
Level Contributor
81 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: prettiest coastal village

Thanks everyone

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
706 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: prettiest coastal village

I meant Burnham Market!

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,778 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: prettiest coastal village

We camped in Weybourne for five nights last June and were so charmed by the whole area and walks we are returning for a full week this June. I've travelled in most counties and North Norfolk is just about the nicest I've been to.

ilkley
Level Contributor
81 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: prettiest coastal village

Ah that's good to hear. I've found a cottage in blakeney but I'll have a look a weybourne too, thanks

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Norfolk
Level Contributor
2,159 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: prettiest coastal village

Blakeney is lovely and will fill most of your requirements, but doesn't have a sandy beach. The harbour is surrounded by salt marsh, although there are paths, if your dog wanders off these it can get muddy.

Reply to: prettiest coastal village
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted