We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chipping Camden

West Midlands
Level Contributor
87 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Chipping Camden

We went to Broadway 2 weeks ago on a Sunday it was lovely, the majority of shops were open it was vibrant and lively. Fast forward 2 weeks to yesterday when we visited Chipping Camden where the only places open were pubs, a couple of tea rooms and the Co-Op! It was such a dissapointment, we assumed there would be more going on, any comments appreciated.

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,392 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Chipping Camden

As an overgeneralisation Broadway is for tourists, Chipping Campden is for locals.

2. Re: Chipping Camden

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 06 February 2016, 06:41
Southampton
Level Contributor
4,876 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chipping Camden

There aren't as many shops in Chipping Campden. Tourist info and a couple of art/cards/craft shops in the same building, a couple of cake shops, a dress agency, a place selling silver stuff, a couple of delis and not much else that I can remember. It's not really a shopping destination.

Mentioned in this post
Chipping Campden
Chipping Campden
Cotswolds, UK
London
Level Contributor
2,229 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chipping Camden

'the only places open were pubs'

I fail to see the problem.

Chipping Campden...
Level Contributor
58 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Chipping Camden

same thoughts as EalingBlue, - although perhaps the only constructive comment I can add is that you have spelt Chipping Campden wrong :-) !

Mentioned in this post
Chipping Campden
Chipping Campden
Cotswolds, UK
West Midlands
Level Contributor
87 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chipping Camden

Thank you for your mainly helpful posts, I shall now go and stand in the corner for my spelling error!

Chipping Campden...
Level Contributor
58 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Chipping Camden

You're forgiven .. it happens all the time :-) ! I hope you will give Chipping Campden a second chance one day!

Mentioned in this post
Chipping Campden
Chipping Campden
Cotswolds, UK
UK
Level Contributor
6,391 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Chipping Camden

Sorry to hear the lack of shopping options spoilt your day. Did you at least enjoy the lovely buildings, fabulous church etc? Chipping Camden does have more of a local vibe than Broadway, but there is good range of shops, gifts, clothing, shoes, art gallery, antiques etc, as well as food shops for locals doing their shopping. In busier months you'd find more places open on Sundays.

Up above Chipping Campden there is a place called Lapstone which sells gifts, clothing etc and has a pleasant cafe. Well worth a visit if you are in the area in the future and looking for shops - they are open on Sundays.

Mentioned in this post
Chipping Campden
Chipping Campden
Cotswolds, UK
Chipping Campden...
Level Contributor
58 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Chipping Camden

I rest my case!

West Yorkshire
Level Contributor
141 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Chipping Camden

I suspect Broadway would have been quieter. What gives the Cotswolds a lot of it's charm is the independent shops, but remember the poor owners need a day or two off sometime. January once everyone is back at work is the quietest time of the year by far, so I suspect a few owners take a bit of time off, or at least operate shorter hours.

If you want to walk and enjoy the countryside, eat and drink, enjoy the hotels or the architecture, then January is a good time to go to the country if you don't mind the weather - I like the lack of crowds. But if you want to go shopping in mid Jan then maybe a city is the best bet.

Mentioned in this post
Cotswolds
Cotswolds
England, UK