We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from London Euston to Chester, Merseyrail to Liverpool

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
749 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Train from London Euston to Chester, Merseyrail to Liverpool

Would you book this train from London Euston to Liverpool, changing trains in Chester to Liverpool? If I did book this, does my Virgin Train ticket cover the cost of Merseyrail or would I have to buy a day saver? Also, if I did book this, my hotel is the Ibis Styles on Dale Street and I think Moorfields would be bit closer. Any problem getting off the Merseyrail train at Moorfields, are there exit ticket barriers that would be a problem? The train fare is only 27 Pounds and would get me to Liverpool earlier, this is the first low priced train from London Euston. My next option would be a train that left an hour later, direct on Virgin Trains from Euston to Liverpool Lime street and that's 28 Pounds.

Depart Arrive Travel by Train company Duration

11:10London Euston

13:11Chester Train VIRGIN TRAINS

02h 01

Calling Points

13:31Chester

14:13Liverpool Lime Street Train MERSEYRAIL

00h 42

Calling Points

8 replies to this topic
London, United...
Level Contributor
303 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train from London Euston to Chester, Merseyrail to Liverpool

Does the ticket advertised that you're looking at say euston to liverpool? If so then it's valid for your entire journey no matter which operator you are purchasing from.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Pollenca, Port de Pollenca
Level Contributor
11,709 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train from London Euston to Chester, Merseyrail to Liverpool

Exactly what date is this journey ?

On another thread for Lon to Liv, some abnormal situations are being highlighted; your deliberations may be similar. Your own date of travel is important.

Which website have you been inspecting ?

Is it important to you to get to Liverpool as early as possible that day ?

Edited: 02 April 2018, 06:55
London, United...
Level Contributor
1,359 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Train from London Euston to Chester, Merseyrail to Liverpool

The 11.10 from Euston will get you to Liverpool Lime Street at 13.41 (with a change at Crewe), or get you to Moorfields at 14.11 (with a change at Chester). Personally I'd rather get to Liverpool 30 minutes earlier, even if the walk to the hotel is longer from Lime Street.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
749 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train from London Euston to Chester, Merseyrail to Liverpool

Thanks for the quick replies. My departure date is Tuesday, 8 May and I'm using virgintrains.co.uk as a website. It's not vital that I arrive as early as possible into Liverpool, but I can't really do anything in London on the morning of the departure anyway, so I may as well take the first train that's available at a reasonable price so I can spend as much time as possible in Liverpool. I've been to Liverpool before, but I have a very ambitious sightseeing schedule for the 3 nights I'm there.

On the virgintrains.co.uk, from the homepage, I am putting in a departure from London Euston and arrival at Liverpool Lime, I"m buying a return ticket leaving on 8 May and returning on 11 May.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,359 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Train from London Euston to Chester, Merseyrail to Liverpool

Also, if you go to Lime Street you will be on the InterCity train for the whole journey. These are comfortable air-conditioned trains. If you get the Merseyrail train, it's a local train which stops every few minutes. It would be like spending the final hour of your journey on the London Underground.

Lancashire, United...
Level Contributor
19,516 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train from London Euston to Chester, Merseyrail to Liverpool

The journey from Chester to Liverpool is tedious (there is no scenery and he train stops every couple of minutes at numerous stations) and there are no toilets on the Merseyrail trains! But yes, you can get off at Moorfields without any problems as your ticket will say "Liverpool stations" meaning that you can alight at Lime Street, Central, James Street or Moorfields.

Anyway, as advised above, I would also change at Crewe and get a train to Lime Street. The Ibis Styles is only a 10 minute walk from the station.

Lancashire, United...
Level Contributor
19,516 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train from London Euston to Chester, Merseyrail to Liverpool

P.S. I should have checked the train times first!

The 11.07 is a direct Euston to Lime Street service and is currently only £28 for an Advance ticket.

So no need to change at Chester or Crewe.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
749 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train from London Euston to Chester, Merseyrail to Liverpool

The 1107 looks like the best value. I will never understand UK train ticket pricing. It just seems odd how much prices vary from train to train, going the exact same route!

Reply to: Train from London Euston to Chester, Merseyrail to Liverpool
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Liverpool