We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelcard / oyster / 2-for-1

Helsinge...
8 posts
Travelcard / oyster / 2-for-1

Hi - I havn’t been able to find an answer for this in this forum so I hope you can help.

We are a family of 4 (two adults, one 8 year old and one 14 years old) who are going to London this summer from july the 8th to the 20th. We arrive at noon i Heathrow and are departing in the evening from Stansted.

We are starting with a stay in Notting Hill, (8th-12th) before going to Brighton, in the middle of our stay (from the 12th to the 16th). Then we go back to London, and for this last period we are staying in the Borough area, London Bridge (16th-20th).

We want to rent a car for the Brighton trip (need it for other reasons) but are not sure where to rent this from - for example Heathrow or Gatwick? (I have another posting about this “Car rental” but it may have importance for this posting too).

When we are in London we want to purchase a Travelcard instead of an Oyster. Main reason is, we want to use the 2-for-1 offer.

1 - when we arrive i Heathrow, should we get an Oyster card and use it for our trip to Notting hill? Because as I understand it, we have to get the 7 day travelcard at a national rail station like Victoria.

2 - And should we just start of with using our Travelcard and then use oyster the last days (16-20/6)

3 - We have to bring photos for the two adults, because we need to get a rail photocard - correct? What about our 14 year old? Should he have his own travelcard? And photo for id also? And our 8 year old - she is always free of charge right? But does she need id?

3 - And must we all 4 have a travelcard to qualify for the 2-for-1 discount? Or can our children get in if we show travelcards from us adults?

I have been reading so much and I am so confused. Please help...

1 reply
London, United...
Level Contributor
1,367 posts
1 review
1. Re: Travelcard / oyster / 2-for-1

You got advice on your previous thread. https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g186…

Reply to: Travelcard / oyster / 2-for-1
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted