We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oyster Card Help

bristol
9 posts
Save Topic
Oyster Card Help

Hi,

I have an Oyster Card with about £3.80 on there, I'm due in London on Saturday but only making journeys that will accumulate about £2.50 in fee's. Will I be ok to use the Oyster card without topping it up further?

Just, I was reading the TFL website and it mentions;

"Maximum Oyster fare

When you touch in at the start of a Tube/DLR/London Overground/National Rail journey, a charge of up to £6.50 is deducted from your pay as you go credit.

When you touch out at the end of your journey, the charge is adjusted so that you only pay the appropriate Oyster single fare.

If you fail to touch in and out correctly, you will be charged up to £6.50 for a Tube/DLR/London Overground journey/National Rail. This charge will not count towards any cap you may reach that day."

Obviously, this is a higher value than the current credit on my card.

Mentioned in this post
London Underground
London Underground
31,929 Reviews
London, UK
London
London
England, UK
Private London Underground and Tube...
1 Review
from US$80.20*
Free Cancellation
London Underground 2-Hour Tube Tour
80 Reviews
from US$26.70*
Free Cancellation
A Muggle's Guide to Harry Potter...
3 Reviews
from US$53.50*
Free Cancellation
Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,394 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Oyster Card Help

It will probably be OK.

The amount deducted depends what station you join at. In central London it's £4.30 for example. It does allow you to go into deficit, though by how much I don't know. (I was £1.40 down at one stage on my last visit)

I assume they are relying on the £3 deposit to prevent losses

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Redlands, California
Level Contributor
6,054 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Oyster Card Help

I'll be interested to learn more too, because as a tourist I would otherwise plan to get down to as near zero as possible. Surely it would allow you to go into deficit as long as you had enough to pay for a "tap out" fare? (I'm assuming that the card is smarter than I am.)

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Oyster Card Help

That is OK. As long as there is enough for the minimum fare you will be let through. If you then travel further than you have money for, your card will go into debt. That will be sorted out the next time you top up.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
58,270 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Oyster Card Help

I've just had a word with the Oyster Helpline. The man to whom I spoke said that you can travel with only the minimum fare needed for a journey loaded on the card, say £1.80 for a trip within zone 1. If you travel beyond zone 1 with just £1.80 pre-pay loaded 'the gates will stay closed at the end' the Helpline man said, rather eloquently.

You can top up with as little as 10p at an Underground ticket machine, so if you need to add a pound or two to your card on the day you can do so.

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Oyster Card Help

They have never done that for me. I have miscalculated the balance on my Oyster and only been stopped when I have tried to get on a bus. Meant walking back to the station to top up.

Bedford
Level Contributor
226 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Oyster Card Help

Just go online and stick £5 on it, save worrying.

Alex

7. Re: Oyster Card Help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 August 2010, 14:18