We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

So, the trip reports begin...

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ossett, United...
Level Contributor
2,905 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
So, the trip reports begin...

Even under grey skies I love London!!

The day started way too early with the 07:15 to KX. Clean and on time. Task #1: to see if the 7-day pass I'd loaded onto my old Visitors' Oyster would activate. Yup, it did. I checked on a machine at Victoria, and it's definitely loaded.

A short 1st post as a courtesy.....

Ossett, United...
Level Contributor
2,905 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: So, the trip reports begin...

Because this is a ten day stay, with walking and fine lunching and afternoon teaing and churching and t'opera, I've more clothes and shoes than usual. my case is very heavy and those few stairs at Victoria were not fun. Next time a taxi. Walked up to Great Peter Street and the clergy house where I'm staying the week. Lovely, rambling house. Wish they'd remembered to give me the wifi code tho: being discursive by thumb on the iPhone is not as easy as real typing...

For reasons too abstruse to trouble you and my thumbs at the moment, I visited Park Street, Conduit Street, Dover Street and Sackville Street. Concert at St. Martin in the fields, after which I felt decidedly odd. Remembering it was now 8 hours since breakfast, I bought a coffee and a power bar from Pret, and normal service was restored. Visited Brompton Road and Cromwell Place, then onto the v and a. Lunch was an okish fish pie made splendid by the glorious cafe. I went to see the Cecil Beaton exhibition, then the silver, glass, Albertopolis and Leighton rooms. I could spend weeks there! Some of the collections are so breathtaking I could cry. Safely home, ignoring the 2 police cars with blues and twos outside, I'm sure all's well. Really.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,570 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: So, the trip reports begin...

Wow what a busy day but very interesting day - I'm hooked I'll check back tomorrow to see where you've been in my home town...

Boo

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
12,681 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: So, the trip reports begin...

Keep on reporting - a trip to London "as it happens!" ;-)

Boston...
Level Contributor
2,660 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: So, the trip reports begin...

Jealously waiting for more Ailidh :-)

Perugia, Italy
Level Contributor
1,041 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: So, the trip reports begin...

You seem to have had a really busy but enjoyable day. Looking forward to the next instalment - but please do remember to eat more often :-)

Essex
Level Contributor
25,888 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: So, the trip reports begin...

Hope the Clergy House is better than the Craggy Island Parochial House!!

Nijmegen...
Level Contributor
3,265 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: So, the trip reports begin...

Hurrah, another ongoing trip report from you :) Sounds like a lovely busy&fun day.

Where you able to research what you where looking for?

Cant wait to hopefully hear all about it at the TALF tea!

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
26,446 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: So, the trip reports begin...

Great news about the travelcard loaded on the visitor oyster. (Maybe) they're not that sophisticated after all! (My first Oyster out of the dispenser at Heathrow had exactly £2 PAYG already loaded).

That was a lot for a first day! Well done.

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,396 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: So, the trip reports begin...

I'm still not understanding this matter of "activating" the TravelCard, though. As I said when this came up earlier, I'm familiar with activating a one-off PAYG credit made online, but not. A TravelCard. Can anyone explain how that works and why it's needed?

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,570 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: So, the trip reports begin...

Nick I think the activating the card in fact means what's been brought on line to the oyster card actully works when first pressed into a card reader! if that makes sense..

Boo