We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London Pass and Oyster Card?

Connecticut
Level Contributor
143 posts
129 reviews
London Pass and Oyster Card?

I am a little confused about the travel in London. You need a passport sized photo for a travel card?

Is it worth it to pay for a 6-day london pass and oyster card for 141 GBP ( $222 USD) if I am in London for 6 days? Should I just get the paper travel pass ? I have read an article on 2-4-1 offers also and it seems to get these I need a paper travel pass.

Best Seller
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, and Bath...
5,733 Reviews
from US$122.40*
Best Seller
Stonehenge, Windsor and Bath with Pub...
2,271 Reviews
from US$125.00*
Best Seller
Harry Potter Tour of Warner Bros...
770 Reviews
from US$102.40*
Harrow, United...
Destination Expert
for York
Level Contributor
9,734 posts
47 reviews
1. Re: London Pass and Oyster Card?

<<You need a passport sized photo for a travel card?>>

Yes you need a passport sized photo if you choose to purchase paper 7 day travel cards to use 2-4-1 offers.

<<s it worth it to pay for a 6-day london pass and oyster card for 141 GBP ( $222 USD) if I am in London for 6 days?>>

no and no. London pass isn't well thought of as to get value out of it you'd need to rush round possibly with a time machine! Please bare in mind that many attractions such as museums and galleries are free to enter.

<<I have read an article on 2-4-1 offers also and it seems to get these I need a paper travel pass.>>

yes you need a paper travel card from a national rail station (there are many throughout central london)

Loughton, United...
Level Contributor
6,836 posts
391 reviews
2. Re: London Pass and Oyster Card?

London Pass IMO a very bad idea. To be strictly accurate, you need the photo for the free photocard the booking clerk will give you. Tell us where in London you are staying and we can advise on the nearest NR station

Hampshire, England.
Level Contributor
4,424 posts
13 reviews
3. Re: London Pass and Oyster Card?

London Pass:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g186338-i17-k769…

2 for 1's:

tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g186338-c195600/Lon…

Connecticut
Level Contributor
143 posts
129 reviews
4. Re: London Pass and Oyster Card?

Thank you. I am still researching hotels... and areas.... any suggestions would be appreciated.... I have looked at the Kensington, the Crowne Plaza-London City and the Thistle at Trafalgar Square...I want it to be close to many attractions.... West End? Kensington? Trafalgar Square? I have no clue about London. Cost is somewhat a factor, but there is an open window for prices... I just can't afford rooms at $400 and up per night. I am using Trip Advisor for much of my research. Today I liked the Apex Wall hotel. People have advised against the London Pass... if I visit 5 or 6 attractions on it wouldn't it be worth it? I don't think I need an oyster card if I get the travel pass, right? Thanks again for your help.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,123 posts
5. Re: London Pass and Oyster Card?

Where to stay:

Take a look at the hotels listed here - https:/…edit In terms of location, typically anywhere within the yellow circle line of the tube is considered central.

Transport & London Pass:

I took a look at your other thread and you state you are in London for 8 days. I don't see the point in paying for a London Pass and their transport offering when buying a Travelcard from a rail station will likely save you money.

Buy a 7 day Travelcard from a National Rail station and take advantage of the 2-4-1 deals. See www.daysoutguide.co.uk for participating attractions.

Transport for the other day will depend on how you are arriving/leaving London.

California
Level Contributor
4,432 posts
28 reviews
6. Re: London Pass and Oyster Card?

Typically when people buy the London Pass with travel, they end up buying a travelcard for zones 1-6 which is a lot more expensive and unnecessary. Most sights are in zones 1-2 and many of the top attractions are free (mostly museums). You need to use public transport anyway, so you're better off just purchasing your seven day travelcard at a National Rail station to utilize the 2 for 1 offers (assuming you are traveling with someone else). This doesn't cost you anything extra and doesn't require running around from site to site with little time to actually relax and enjoy what you are seeing.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
61 posts
101 reviews
7. Re: London Pass and Oyster Card?

What is the closest NR station to the Crowne Plaza City? Thanks!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,123 posts
8. Re: London Pass and Oyster Card?

>> What is the closest NR station to the Crowne Plaza City? <<

Blackfriars

Bloomington, IN
Level Contributor
55 posts
175 reviews
9. Re: London Pass and Oyster Card?

My friend and I visited London a few weeks ago. Our first time overseas. We were there for a week and all we bought was an Oyster card with 30GPB on each. We used the Tube several times a day with it and ended up needing about 6 more pounds on it before we left. It was a good bargain for all the traveling we did.

As for hotels, I'm not sure you really need to stay near the attractions. In fact, being near some attractions means you're far away from others. It's a really big city! I think staying a bit outside of central London and taking the Tube where you want to go would be cheaper. We stayed north in Bloomsbury at a Holiday Inn for a reasonable price. It was just a block away from a Tube station, so traveling wherever we wanted to go was very easy.

Have a great trip! I'm jealous! I would love to go back!

Edited: 20 May 2015, 09:36
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
61 posts
101 reviews
10. Re: London Pass and Oyster Card?

Thank you Mez. Yay! Won't have to go too far. I feel rather stupid for not knowing that.