We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay

Daly City...
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Where to stay

Hi! My boyfriend and I plan on travelling to London next year and I wanted to get an idea of where to stay. We're both 27 and it'll be our first time there. We're more into museums, art galleries and sight seeing rather than going out to the clubbing/bar scene. We also enjoy good foods- mostly aiming trying the local eats. Any recommendations in regards to neighborhoods/districts?

We're also thinking about spending a few days in Paris, I heard (through YouTube) that there's a train that can take us to there too. If so, is that a recommended way of transportation from London? Especially since we're going to be carrying our luggage too (most likely just 2 carry ons and a checked in bag- standard).

Thanks in advance!

New Mexico
Level Contributor
14,611 posts
111 reviews
1. Re: Where to stay

If you plan to visit Paris too, fly there, then train to London, fly home from London, or the reverse.

Train is Eurostar

www.eurostar.com

Book well in advance (4 months) for cheapest fare.

Edit: also get a guide book, even an old one from a library, to get an idea of what London has to offer.

Edited: 04 August 2015, 13:16
Daly City...
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
2. Re: Where to stay

Thanks! We were thinking about flying in London and then travelling to Paris. How long of a train ride is it?

Edit: Nevermind, figured it out.

Edited: 04 August 2015, 23:12
California
Level Contributor
4,434 posts
29 reviews
3. Re: Where to stay

The train trip is about 2 hrs. 15 mins but factor in that Paris is one hour ahead of the UK.

London, United...
Level Contributor
711 posts
100 reviews
4. Re: Where to stay

Some of the major, free entry, museums are in Kensington; Science Museum, Natural History Museum and the V&A. The British Museum is also free and is located in Bloomsbury. Others to consider are the Wallace Collection, the National Gallery, the two Tates - again all free.

Have a look at these on a map and that should help your accommodation search. Personally, I would choose somewhere just west of central London but I admit to being biased! Districts to look at include South Kensington, Hammersmith, Chiswick, Notting Hill and Bayswater. Don't listen to anybody who says that these are far from the centre, none is longer than 20 minutes by Tube and you do get more bang for your buck when it comes to accommodation.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
7,439 posts
4 reviews
5. Re: Where to stay

I'd be wary of telling someone coming next year that museums are free.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
143 posts
129 reviews
6. Re: Where to stay

I am going to post on the site to answer your question. I think it might help many people so I thought I would post. It will be titled A Great place to stay and Many Suggestions for your next trip to London.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
603 posts
5 reviews
7. Re: Where to stay

Why would you be wary about telling someone that's traveling next year that museums are free?

Watford, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
44,460 posts
54 reviews
8. Re: Where to stay

There is speculation that this government may withdraw the grants that allow the major National museums to continue to offer free admission. From what I understand it is far more likely that smaller local museums outside London will have their council grants heavily reduced and that they are ones hat will have to either start charging or reduce their opening hours.

Rutland, United...
Level Contributor
7,730 posts
79 reviews
9. Re: Where to stay

"Why would you be wary about telling someone that's traveling next year that museums are free?"

These are hard times. It is a reference to the possibility that the government will seek to raise money by charging admission to museums and galleries. It's possible but, in my view, very unlikely.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
143 posts
129 reviews
10. Re: Where to stay

Amba Charing Cross