We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning a Romantic weekend in York, help please :)

Sheffield, United...
2 posts
Save Topic
Planning a Romantic weekend in York, help please :)

For my girlfriend's Birthday I am surprising her with a weekend away in york at the end of January. Were a young couple, she enjoys historical sites,architecture, loves animals and shopping.

After seeing york centre we are going to go for a meal and a drink afterwards. I have so far planned a trip to the shambles and york minster and a meal at Il Paradiso del Cibo.

I was wondering if anyone knew of any nice wine bars that we could go to after with a nice chilled out atmosphere and good music/somewhere we can sit and chat? (Not fussed if we need to get a taxi as it will be freezing in January anyway!).

Also if anyone has any other suggestions for fun things to do in the day in york I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance :)

Yorkshire Dales...
Destination Expert
for North Yorkshire, Suffolk
Level Contributor
3,639 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning a Romantic weekend in York, help please :)

Afternoon tea and cakes (or champagne??)at Betty's is a lovely, romantic thing to do and is great for all ages (I suspect my own children are a smiliar age to you and they love going here).

You can book a table too for afternoon tea at one of the cafes in York - this link has details -

http://www.bettys.co.uk/afternoon_tea.aspx

Wetherby
Level Contributor
209 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning a Romantic weekend in York, help please :)

A great way to learn about some the History of York, from a very unusual angle, is to take a Ghost Walk. I love www.theoriginalghostwalkofyork.co.uk/ (done it 11 times with just about every visitor I've had). Depending on the guide for your particular night you will get different stories, but if you are lucky you will hear about the ghost of Georgie Porgie of nursery rhyme fame, and a massacre of jews in York Castle. Just wrap up warm!

Edited: 23 November 2011, 06:41
Sheffield, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning a Romantic weekend in York, help please :)

I have looked into this and think it would be a fantastic idea; so thank you very much. I will be booking a table here for our lunch :)

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
17 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning a Romantic weekend in York, help please :)

Hi Jamie

If you're looking for lovely authentic Italian food, at a great price, in a fun atmosphere, then Il Paradiso del Cibo is a good choice. It deserves its rating on tripadvisor. But, it's worth noting that none of the tripadvisor reviews says that it's good for romance. If you're really looking for a romantic occasion, I'd look elsewhere.

Wakefield, United...
Level Contributor
585 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Planning a Romantic weekend in York, help please :)

A building with a very historic and interesting atmosphere is Greys Court in York. There is a Long Gallery where they serve coffee, toasted tea-cakes, lunches etc which is wood panelled. If you look at their website it will give you a much better idea. They have very comfy sofas there and you can easily while away an hour there. (Don't be in a rush - the service is leisurely)

6. Re: Planning a Romantic weekend in York, help please :)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 December 2012, 18:19