We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Peak district from Sheffield

Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Peak district from Sheffield

Hey,

Planning to go to Peak District. Any advice on how to get there from Sheffield Uni? I’m not from Sheffield so any specific direction would be really helpful. It’s a day trip. Any recommendations on what to do there would be great as well, I haven’t made any plans as of yet. Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Sheffield
Sheffield
South Yorkshire, UK
13 replies to this topic
Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
509 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Peak district from Sheffield

I assume this is by public transport? It's easily done, there are buses and trains to various destinations in the Peak District, where exactly are you thinking of going? It's quite a large area so narrowing it down would help us to help you.

Mentioned in this post
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
117 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Peak district from Sheffield

If you like walking then go up the snake pass (A57j and walk around Kunder Scout - the waterfall often flows upwards at this time of year. If you want scenery, villages and pubs, go Hathersage, Hope, Castleton and Edale. You can see the caverns, Mam Tor and Jacob’s Ladder.

Mentioned in this post
Hathersage
Hathersage
Hope Valley, UK
Hope
Hope
Hope Valley, UK
Castleton
Castleton
Hope Valley, UK
Edale
Edale
Hope Valley, UK
England
Destination Expert
for Peak District National Park
Level Contributor
5,273 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Peak district from Sheffield

Please also tell us what you are interested in - scenery, hiking, cycling visiting stately homes perhaps ?

You might also want to take a look at this website - www.visitpeakdistrict.com - to get some ideas. Once place to start could be Castleton with its famous caves and ruined castle. Buses 271 & 272 run there every hour from Sheffield Interchange (bus station) and you can also use buses 273 and 274 as well - see this page for links to bus timetables: www.derbysbus.info/times/tt_201_999.htm .

P-t-B

Edited: 14 February 2018, 08:29
Mentioned in this post
Castleton
Castleton
Hope Valley, UK
Sheffield
Sheffield
South Yorkshire, UK
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Peak district from Sheffield

Yes by public transport. I tried looking around for peak district destinations and there are so many! I envy those who live nearby and can do many trips there as this might be my only chance. Places like Hope valley and Mam Tor seem interesting.

Mentioned in this post
Hope Valley
Hope Valley
Peak District National Park, UK
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Peak district from Sheffield

Definitely more to scenery and hiking (but not extreme ones). Something that a first timer should not miss to see perhaps? Thanks for the info!

Preston, United...
Level Contributor
4,675 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Peak district from Sheffield

Actually, as Kate S says in another post, you can actually walk to the National Park from the university. Just get to Hunter’s Bar roundabout, walk into Endcliffe Park and keep walking up the valley. A walk I did myself many times as a student in Sheffield in the early 1970s!

Mentioned in this post
Endcliffe Park
Endcliffe Park
342 Reviews
Sheffield, UK
Sheffield
Sheffield
South Yorkshire, UK
Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
509 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Peak district from Sheffield

Here's the timetable for the bus to Castleton, you can get on it at Hunters Bar.

https:/…796.htm

From Castleton you can walk up the Winnats Pass (spectacular!) and on to Mam Tor depending on how far you want to walk.

Mentioned in this post
Castleton
Castleton
Hope Valley, UK
Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
1,317 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Peak district from Sheffield

Yes, same thing asked on the Sheffield forum yesterday.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g186…

Mentioned in this post
Sheffield
Sheffield
South Yorkshire, UK
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Peak district from Sheffield

Thanks for the link!

Stockport, United...
Level Contributor
1,516 posts
549 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Peak district from Sheffield

You can get buses into Bakewell, and to Eyam as my Mother in law does and meets us, as well as Bamford as well. Or you could get a train to Bamford. There is a stopping train service from Sheffield to Manchester, which stops at numerous stops along the Peak district. I think usually a hourly service Monday to Saturday, less frequently on Sundays.

Mentioned in this post
Bakewell
Bakewell
Peak District National Park, UK
Eyam
Eyam
Hope Valley, UK
Bamford
Bamford
Hope Valley, UK
Sheffield
Sheffield
South Yorkshire, UK
Manchester
Manchester
Greater Manchester, UK
Reply to: Peak district from Sheffield
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Peak District National...
More Peak District National Park Topics
;