We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking from Greenfield to Marsden or vice versa

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
629 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Walking from Greenfield to Marsden or vice versa

Greetings

I'm considering a walk through the Peak District between Greenfield and Marsden in early August.

I've picked these start/end points because they're each on the rail line to Huddersfield.

Has anybody walked this route?

Would it be crowded at the time of year I'm contemplating? Any suggestions about which of the two villages would be better to start in?

Many thanks for any helpful replies.

Mentioned in this post
6 replies to this topic
South Pole
Destination Expert
for Lesbos, Zagorohoria
Level Contributor
15,691 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Walking from Greenfield to Marsden or vice versa

Are you planning to follow the Huddersfield Narrow Canal or walk over the edge of the moors on the hills above Uppermill & Diggle etc? Or take a longer route (over 20km) taking in Chew Reservoir, Black Hill & Wessenden? None of them will be "crowded" although on a nice day there will be people around on both the shorter routes. Probably busier with people doing short circuits at the Marsden end. Start at either end, depending on train times.

Mentioned in this post
Huddersfield
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire, UK
Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
629 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walking from Greenfield to Marsden or vice versa

Thanks very much for your reply.

I'm doing the longer route: via the reservoir, Black Hill et cetera.

On further reflection I've decided to start in Greenfield. There's apparently a good pub in Marsden, which would be far better enjoyed at the end than at the start of a 23 km walk.

Edited: 31 March 2018, 03:35
South Pole
Destination Expert
for Lesbos, Zagorohoria
Level Contributor
15,691 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Walking from Greenfield to Marsden or vice versa

Although it can vary depending on the weather you should enjoy glorious purple heather clad moors on that route in August. When you come down off Black Hill & cross the A635 above Wessenden you might be fortunate to find a mobile refreshment van (& possibly flying a Yorkshire flag) at the roadside. He picks up a fair bit of trade from passing walkers but don't know exactly what times he is there.

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
629 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Walking from Greenfield to Marsden or vice versa

Will look out for him; thanks again.

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
5,315 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Walking from Greenfield to Marsden or vice versa

Oh, my, this took me back to being pulled out of a peat bog on Black Hill in the early 80s by a chain of three men when I was very young! That just led me to read that that particular issue has been overcome in the years since (it put me off for so many years!)

https://www.cicerone.co.uk/taming-the-pennin…

I hope you enjoy, I'm sure that you may see a few other walkers - it's part of the Pennine way, isn't it (or partially)? Maybe I should re-visit the walk, and do it your way around. I guess that you might be aiming to finish up in

http://theriverheadmarsden.co.uk/

Mind you, if you ended in Greenfield, this looks very good these days

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Rev…

Anyway, enjoy the bleak views up on the moors, and take care in case there are bits where it's boggy and no path! Are you staying in Huddersfield??

Edited: 31 March 2018, 05:21
Mentioned in this post
Huddersfield
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire, UK
Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
629 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Walking from Greenfield to Marsden or vice versa

Yes--a section of it is on the Pennine Way.

That's precisely the one I'm aiming at in Marsden.

The pub in Greenfield looks good too. Might be worth a quick room temperature beverage on the way out...

Edited: 06 April 2018, 03:59
Reply to: Walking from Greenfield to Marsden or vice versa
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Peak District National...
More Peak District National Park Topics