We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

PD Cave Choice .. authenticity vs. gimmick?

London, United...
Level Contributor
212 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
PD Cave Choice .. authenticity vs. gimmick?

We're visiting the PD in a couple of weeks time and staying for a couple of nights around Tideswell. While there, we would love to do at least one cave. The following around Castleton jump out:

Speedwell Cavern - £40

Peak Cavern's/Devil's @rse - £37

Combined Speedwell/Peak family ticket - £61.00

Blue John Cavern in Castleton - £32

Treak Cliff Cavern in Castleton - £27.50

There's also Poole's Cavern @ £27 a little further south.

The question is, which ones are really worth the visit? We have a couple of boys (11/12) who might like the idea of an underwater boat and a rude name to a cave entrance, but some of the review suggest those two caves are someone unspectacular one trick ponies! I'm sure I've been down the Blue John Cavern as a kid, but don't remember it as I went down loads of caves looking for Blue John way back when! Treak Cliff sounds more interesting in some ways (and perhaps undeserving a bit less popular than those around it).

What is the best use of our time? We can only afford to give a single morning or afternoon to getting to an exploring a cave(s?), so no multi-day adventures..

Mentioned in this post
Tideswell
Tideswell
Peak District National Park, UK
Castleton
Castleton
Hope Valley, UK
Speedwell Cavern
Speedwell Cavern
1,010 Reviews
Castleton, UK
Blue John Cavern
Blue John Cavern
632 Reviews
Castleton, UK
Treak Cliff Cavern
Treak Cliff Cavern
558 Reviews
Castleton, UK
5 replies to this topic
Southport, United...
Level Contributor
2,493 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: PD Cave Choice .. authenticity vs. gimmick?

It's some years since I lived in the area but Treak Cluff was always my favourite it seemed less touristy but it may have changed.

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Norfolk
Level Contributor
2,314 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: PD Cave Choice .. authenticity vs. gimmick?

I did Speedwell Cavern as a ten year old and it was really exciting, but returned as an adult after 25 years and it was rather dull. Your boys will likely enjoy it.

Mentioned in this post
Speedwell Cavern
Speedwell Cavern
1,010 Reviews
Castleton, UK
Stockport, United...
Level Contributor
1,577 posts
574 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: PD Cave Choice .. authenticity vs. gimmick?

I think most boys would love it. I have been to several and loved both of them.

London, United...
Level Contributor
212 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: PD Cave Choice .. authenticity vs. gimmick?

Hmmm .. sounds a little like Treak Cliff might edge for seeing some blue john and a nice big cave, while Speedwell with the boat perhaps for just the adventure (ie. not missing out much on Devil's @rse bar the name!?). Possibly could do both (Treak/Speedwell) at £67.50 total for family tickets .. do you think it's more interesting than just Speedwell/Peak for £61 combined?

Any comments on how Poole's Cavern compares to all of the above around Castleton?

Mentioned in this post
Castleton
Castleton
Hope Valley, UK
Derby, United...
Level Contributor
497 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: PD Cave Choice .. authenticity vs. gimmick?

You can get 20% off the Speedwell ticket / combined ticket price if you prebook one of the first 3 tours at Speedwell. The last that qualifies is the 10.45am tour. Info online.

Poole's Cavern is ok - Go Ape is nearby too.

However, it is the underground boat ride sets Speedwell (and the blue John in the Castleton cavern system) aside from most underground / stalagmite cave systems that can be visited in the UK and abroad - incl Poole's Cavern.

Reply to: PD Cave Choice .. authenticity vs. gimmick?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Peak District National...
More Peak District National Park Topics