We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gatwick to Oxford by train or bus

Cranves-Sales...
Level Contributor
7 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
Gatwick to Oxford by train or bus

Hullo, what is the best way to go from Gatwick Airport to Oxford - train or bus? How far is the bus station in Oxford to the train station in Oxford? Thanks so much for your help.

Mentioned in this post
Oxford
Oxford
Oxfordshire, UK
Oxford, Cotswolds...
1,310 Reviews
from US$129.90*
Windsor Castle, Stonehenge, and...
1,040 Reviews
from US$80.70*
Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge Inner Circle Access Day...
124 Reviews
from US$164.10*
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
57,735 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gatwick to Oxford by train or bus

You may make the journey by coach in two hours and 25 minutes. Single fare is £28; coaches run once an hour. Check for specifics at www.nationalexpress.com

Coaches operate from both the North and South terminal buildings at Gatwick airport.

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Gatwick to Oxford by train or bus

5 minute walk between Oxford Railway Station and Gloucester Green bus station.

I did exactly the same journey a few months ago as you "maybe" doing in the near future. The flight from Geneva to Gatwick took half the amount of time that the coach journey did from Gatwick to Oxford.

Mentioned in this post
Oxford
Oxford
Oxfordshire, UK
Gloucester
Gloucester
Cotswolds, UK
Geneva
Geneva
Canton of Geneva, Switzerland
Basingstoke, United...
Level Contributor
3,000 posts
215 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gatwick to Oxford by train or bus

A bit quicker by train (via Reading) and it could be cheaper depending on when you travel.

Mentioned in this post
Reading
Reading
Berkshire, UK
Cranves-Sales...
Level Contributor
7 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gatwick to Oxford by train or bus

Thank you so much for your helpful reply. Can I ask you where you get the bus from in Gatwick North Terminal and if you have a better suggestion than the coach? I understand the train requires two changes. I'm not sure how complicated that would be. Thank you again for your help.

Cranves-Sales...
Level Contributor
7 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gatwick to Oxford by train or bus

Thank you so much for your helpful reply. Can I ask you where you get the bus from in Gatwick North Terminal and if you have a better suggestion than the coach? I understand the train requires two changes. I'm not sure how complicated that would be. Thank you again for your help.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
57,735 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gatwick to Oxford by train or bus

gatwickairport.com/Documents/…20v4.pdf

The journey by rail will take two to two and a half hours, depending on the time of day and day of the week you wish to travel. On weekdays there you may travel with one change at Reading; you may also travel via Redhill and Reading.

The longest journey would be to take a Southern train to London Victoria, the Circle line to Paddington then train from there to Oxford. The Circle line often ignores its timetable, with the journey from Victoria to Paddington a slow slog; a bus from Victoria might be a quicker journey from one station to the other.

But that is moot as there are rail alternatives. Off Peak fares are available via Reading for £20 single. Check train times for your travel date at www.nationalrail.co.uk

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Oxford
Oxford
Oxfordshire, UK
Buckinghamshire...
Level Contributor
3,185 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gatwick to Oxford by train or bus

Simple option is the Oxford Bus Company. They have buses that go to Gatwick to Gloucester Green (Oxford Bus Station).

www.oxfordbus.co.uk/main.php?page_id=23

Single is £28 or return £32. It is quite a journey to Oxford on the bus.

If you want speed, then its probably the train.

Link shows were this coach goes from.

Edited: 06 September 2012, 04:10
Mentioned in this post
Oxford
Oxford
Oxfordshire, UK
Gloucester
Gloucester
Cotswolds, UK
warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Gatwick to Oxford by train or bus

I think it's been established that both the coach and the train will take roughly two and a half hours. Neither is quicker than the other.

I'm not sure which would evoke more joy, being stuck on the M25 slowly crawling along in a coach in a traffic jam or crawling along from Gatwick to Reading on the slow, slow stopping train.

Mentioned in this post
Reading
Reading
Berkshire, UK
Buckinghamshire...
Level Contributor
3,185 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Gatwick to Oxford by train or bus

Personally having done the journey myself a few times. I find the bus the easier option. Mainly because you get on with your luggage stowed under the coach and that is it till Oxford. With the train, you have to fight for a seat sometimes, and over crowded, leaving your luggage somewhere possibly out of sight, and the chance of having to change trains ....... overall time wise, it is hard to tell as you cannot predict traffic or the possibility of cancelled/delayed trains.

The other thing to consider is the waiting time, I think the trains will arrive more frequently and the bus I believe is hourly?

Mentioned in this post
Oxford
Oxford
Oxfordshire, UK
Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,725 posts
348 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Gatwick to Oxford by train or bus

Also, the train station in Oxford is a good 5-10 minutes walk from the centre, a 13 or 290 bus will get to you to the centre from the station, I'd say go for the 13, very nice Mercedes buses with full style coach style seats - very comfortable, but the 290 also has leather seats and wifi, so it is a good question but both go from outside the station entrance.

Mentioned in this post
Oxford
Oxford
Oxfordshire, UK