We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accessibility within Oxford train station

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
14,606 posts
312 reviews
Save Topic
Accessibility within Oxford train station

We will likely be arriving at Oxford station (from Charlbury) and certainly will be departing to London by train.

Issue for me is I have had a knee replaced and am not supposed to carry heavy objects, especially not up and down stairs.

Last time we were in Oxford, it was a day trip with no baggage. But this time it is part of a longer trip and I will have a 140 cm (L+W+H) roller bag with me. Are there lifts to and from the platforms? As I recall, in one direction you were on the tracks farther from the station and had to change levels to get to the station.

Thank you for your help!

Oxford UK
Destination Expert
for Oxford
Level Contributor
1,315 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Accessibility within Oxford train station

Yes, there are lifts to the platforms, although if you're arriving from Charlbury you'll likely arrive at the platform nearest the concourse and exit anyway. Please note though you will need to be able to get your luggage onto and off the trains yourself, unless you pre-book assistance.

AFAIK there are no lifts at Charlbury but there are ramps to the bridge, so you don't have to use steps.

Pewsey, United...
Destination Expert
for Wiltshire
Level Contributor
5,934 posts
302 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Accessibility within Oxford train station

Aloha again! Here is the plan of Oxford (see lifts to right of bridge) nationalrail.co.uk/stations_destinations/…

and Charlbury: nationalrail.co.uk/stations/CBY/details.html ("step free access to whole station")

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
14,606 posts
312 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Accessibility within Oxford train station

Excellent, thank you both. I am printing the station maps for future reference. I can handle the bags, just did not want to try to carry them on stairs.

The train cars will have luggage racks at one end, correct? Any way to know when boarding which end has the racks?

Mahalo!

Edited: 19 August 2016, 01:25
Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
58,682 posts
452 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Accessibility within Oxford train station

It all depends what type of train it is! Yes, nothing is ever simple on the UK rail system :-)

Some trains will have racks at both ends. Some will have racks in the middle of the carriage, though this is a relatively recent phenomena. Most trains have overhead shelves to put smaller bags, and this is what I prefer to use. It does mean that I have to make sure I take bags which will fit those particular racks, which isn't easy to know without experience.

Unfortunately I can't really help much more than this as I have no idea whether your bag is going to fit the overhead racks, and nor do I know what kind of train you will be boarding!

Pewsey, United...
Destination Expert
for Wiltshire
Level Contributor
5,934 posts
302 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Accessibility within Oxford train station

At risk of sounding boring and vague, it depends where the train has been recently as the direction of travel can change on some routes which require leaving a station the way it came in, so the front becomes the back and vice versa.

Aloha (I eventually thought about your user name...we love Hawaii and will be there in January)

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
58,682 posts
452 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Accessibility within Oxford train station

I don't think we have any choice but to be boring and vague, given the variety of trains on the route.

I see beckysimms has replied in a similar fashion in the OP's London Paddington thread.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
14,606 posts
312 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Accessibility within Oxford train station

Not boring! Useful so I know what ambiguity to expect. The large bag will go in a rack, not overhead.

PMQuestions, enjoy your Hawaii trip! We go in January also, a great escape from winter.

Thanks again.

Edited: 19 August 2016, 01:52
8. Re: Accessibility within Oxford train station

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 August 2017, 13:18
Get answers to your questions about Oxford
Recent Conversations