We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nearest Place to visit in Oxford

London, United...
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Nearest Place to visit in Oxford

Hi,

I am travelling from London to Oxford by car with my family for a 2 day trip, with stopping at Bekonscot Model village for a few hours in the morning and spending the rest of the day at Oxford. Is there any other place nearby Oxford that I can spend the next day rather than spending at Oxford itself (which is not far from Oxford).

Thanks

Portsmouth, United...
Destination Expert
for Portsmouth
Level Contributor
5,223 posts
1,733 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nearest Place to visit in Oxford

I do not know if this is the sort of place that would interest you, but you could drive to Bletchley Park

https://www.bletchleypark.org.uk

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,022 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nearest Place to visit in Oxford

You've got Blenheim Palace nearby, not to mention The Cotswolds, an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty (or is it a National Park these days?).

Netanya, Israel
Level Contributor
11,899 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nearest Place to visit in Oxford

Blenheim Castle or Waddesdon Manor - both make a good day out with family.

Yuri.

London, United...
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Nearest Place to visit in Oxford

Thats great. Bletchley Park sounds great. Thank you

I am going on a weekday, ie. this Tuesday, to Oxford by car. Is it mandatory to take a park and ride instead of driving around by car? Asking this as my elderly parents cannot walk a lot without stopping in between!

Oxford UK
Destination Expert
for Oxford
Level Contributor
1,311 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nearest Place to visit in Oxford

You're welcome to bring the car into Oxford and park (it's usually advised not to because the traffic can be bad and parking is very expensive). However most of the interesting parts of Oxford city centre are pedestrianised, i.e. you can't drive to them or past them, so some walking is needed to see the sights I'm afraid.

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for Oxford
Level Contributor
995 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nearest Place to visit in Oxford

And be very careful if you do drive into the city centre to observe the signs for the bus gates (as opposed to the bus lanes) as going through them leads to an automatic fine. The one that catches a large number of people out is the one in the High Street. If you wish to plan in advance details of the four locations are here: https:/…bus-lanes-and-bus-gates

Oxford, England
Level Contributor
427 posts
414 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nearest Place to visit in Oxford

Chiltern Open Air Museum

Pewsey, United...
Destination Expert
for Wiltshire
Level Contributor
5,896 posts
302 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Nearest Place to visit in Oxford

If your family are interested in wildlife, Cotswold Wildlife Park just outside Burford.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
755 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Nearest Place to visit in Oxford

If you have boys of any age into trains, Didcot Railway Centre.

10. Re: Nearest Place to visit in Oxford

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 August 2017, 12:17
Get answers to your questions about Oxford
Recent Conversations