We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Bear Pub

Westport...
Level Contributor
157 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
The Bear Pub

Does anyone have a picture or link to the menu for The Bear? Friends have recommended it, but one of our family has dietary issues and it is easier for us to know what is available in advance, to plan meals. I know many places say they will accommodate any dietary need, but we really prefer to know what's on the menu. Thanks!

Pewsey, United...
Destination Expert
for Wiltshire
Level Contributor
5,874 posts
302 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Bear Pub

Their website http://www.bearoxford.co.uk/food is a bit long on hype and a bit short on detail. You could email them for a menu or to see what they offer as regards the specific dietary request?

Westport...
Level Contributor
157 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Bear Pub

Will do!

Marlow, United...
Level Contributor
4,284 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Bear Pub

It's a pub with standard pub food that is bought in then heated up. I doubt they could accommodate any special requests other than "no chips please". It is not really a culinary destination and Fullers really need to spruce the place up a bit. Even the famous ties on display are now so faded as to be almost indistinguishable from each other. It's alright for a beer, but I'd head somewhere else for anything more complicated. FWIW, my last visit was about a month ago.

Oxford UK
Destination Expert
for Oxford
Level Contributor
1,308 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Bear Pub

I agree with Poolounger. The Bear is a fine pub, as in, a place to go for a drink. The beer is great, really great. If you're lucky, you'll be able to get through the door and get to the bar to buy a drink. If you're extremely lucky, you'll find a place to stand in the bar to enjoy your drink, and if you're there when there's the right alignment of the stars and planets, you'll get a seat. It's crazy popular, and rightly so.

I wouldn't recommend it as a place for food - it's really nothing special.

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for Oxford
Level Contributor
995 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The Bear Pub

Seating is available outside provided the weather isn't bad (we got seats last Saturday evening) but the view of the back of Christchurch is pretty dire. As other posters have said though it's incredibly popular. In addition as it's a really, really old pub the ceiling is low so tall people like me have to be rather careful!

6. Re: The Bear Pub

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 August 2017, 13:18
Get answers to your questions about Oxford
Recent Conversations