We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From Bristol to Oxford

Buenos aires
Level Contributor
25 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
From Bristol to Oxford

Hello:

Sorry for my english.

The Great Western Railway train leave from Bristol at 13:30hs and arrive Didcot Parkway at 14:28hs. Then leave Didcot Parkway at 14:49 hs to Oxford. Is 21 minutes enough time to change trains?? Or are there other options??

Thaks!!

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
29,134 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: From Bristol to Oxford

That could depend on how many of you to co ordinate, how fast you move (any luggage) and how far away the platforms.

Someone who knows it well should be along to help you further or you could check with the numbers of the platforms and a search for a map of Didcot Parkway to see how you get from one platform to the other.

I can do a 20min change over a bridge but it's just me and a small case + a lift.

Pewsey, United...
Destination Expert
for Wiltshire
Level Contributor
5,936 posts
302 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: From Bristol to Oxford

It's not that big a station, it's only a 5 minute job if you are able to walk briskly. Even allowing for using lifts there's plenty of time (the imponderable is if the incoming train is late!).

nationalrail.co.uk/stations_destinations/DID…

Stroud, United...
Level Contributor
1,260 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: From Bristol to Oxford

That is bags of time unless there is some impairment reason that would make it difficult.

Oxford UK
Destination Expert
for Oxford
Level Contributor
1,315 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: From Bristol to Oxford

Plenty of time. Didcot Parkway sounds like it's huge but actually only has five platforms. In 21 minutes you can alight the train, use the loo, buy a coffee and find your platform! Just remember that whatever luggage you're carrying, you've got to get off the train, tup and down stairs or into and out of lifts, and back on to a train.

Trains to Oxford usually depart from platform 3 or platform 4, but you can check on the TV screens when you get off your connecting train. You can see a map of the station here: nationalrail.co.uk/stations_destinations/…

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
58,709 posts
452 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: From Bristol to Oxford

I agree with the general consensus that you will have plenty of time. Even being generous and saying it will take 5 minutes to get off the train and get your bearings, then 10 minutes to get to the right platform, you still have 5 minutes to spare. If your train from Bristol is late, don't worry, there are lots of trains to Oxford so just catch the next GWR service.

Enjoy your trip!

Buenos aires
Level Contributor
25 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: From Bristol to Oxford

Thank you, Toopaz.

I will be travelling alone with a medium suitcase and a small backpack.

Buenos aires
Level Contributor
25 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: From Bristol to Oxford

Thank you for your time, beckysimms.

It´s true, Didcot Parkway sounds like it's huge. I´m from Argentina, so the map is very helpful and your explanation too.

Buenos aires
Level Contributor
25 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: From Bristol to Oxford

Thank you for your time RojBlake.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,044 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: From Bristol to Oxford

The booking/enquiry systems do not give connections that cannot be managed under normal circumstances.

And if by any chance the train from Bristol is late and you miss the Oxford train, it is perfectly OK to catch the next one.

10. Re: From Bristol to Oxford

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 September 2017, 12:18
Get answers to your questions about Oxford
Recent Conversations