We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time in town

Level Contributor
1,150 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
First time in town

Hi,

probably I'll be in Reading in December for 4 days. I know the town from a long time but this is my first visit.

I decided to book a room here because in london I didn't found an good accomodation (for my budget).

I think I will spend 1 or 2 days in Lndon, having

to meet friends and so on... but I also wish to visit and enjoy Reading, without foget shopping!!!

thanks for tipps!!!

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,141 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time in town

Well, Reading has the Oracle for shopping. Are you renting a car, or staying within walking distance/bus ride to the station?

Reading is 30 minutes by fast train to London, and an off peak return is 15 GBP per trip.

London has lodgings for almost every budget. If you want to stay in London, please let us know your budget, and perhaps there is something available.

Level Contributor
1,150 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time in town

Many Thanks,

at now I booked a Reading good chaine hotel, I needs a very clean ensuite single, I can afforfd around 50£

Where I usually stay in london is unavailable...

But if well connected (no car) could be good! I think is possible to go in London in 1h for few £

I'm not reach but I love shopping (if good value for money)

thanks!!!

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,141 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time in town

Here is a hotel in London for 59 GBP a night--room is a single, with shower, and includes a full breakfast.

www.crescenthoteloflondon.com/RoomRates.asp

You would save money staying here, as you would not have to buy a train ticket to London each day.

I quoted you a one way ticket to London. The National Rail website is showing a return ticket as costing 35 GBP.

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/

Level Contributor
1,150 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time in town

The train tiket are pricy for me, do you think better a bus?

many thanks!

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time in town

There are cheaper trains if you use the slow route to Waterloo, instead of the fast one to Paddington.

But, Reading is some distance from London, so it's going to cost both time and money to get there.

Edited: 18 October 2011, 00:36
Level Contributor
1,150 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time in town

I usually find lots of discounted fares, not here??

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First time in town

£15 IS the discounted fare ! And thats without a travelcard, which you'll need to get around London. With that, its £20.50p. Unlike Nick I cant see a cheaper fare going via Waterloo, its £0.50p more :-)

When I go to London in peak time (I live nearby Reading) its more like £45 return, so £20.50 is a bargain :-)

Edited: 18 October 2011, 01:27
U.S. expats
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,141 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First time in town

Buses from Reading station leave for Heathrow airport, and cost 12.50 GBP round trip. Depending on traffic, the journey takes 40 minutes to an hour. Then you still have to pay to go from Heathrow to London, (another 30 minutes at least) and buy a travelcard on top of that.

Again, I think if your object is to visit London, you will not save money staying in Reading.

Level Contributor
1,150 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First time in town

I'll try to find something good in London , but at now is hard

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,141 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First time in town

Hotel in Reading=@ 50 GBP

Train fare to London= 20.50 GBP

Total cost, 70.50 GBP

Hotels in London can be had for that. And please, it would be very difficult for you to get from your hotel, to where you want to go in London in an hour. From Windsor, which is far closer, I usually count on 1 1/2 hours door to door. You have to get to the station, buy a ticket, wait for the train, take the train, then you are *only* at the train station--not where you want to be in London. Now you have to take the tube/bus and walk to your destination. And then do it backwards in the evening.

Here's a list of budget hotels in London.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g186338-c162572/Londo…