We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Commuting from London to Slough

Copenhagen, Denmark
3 posts
Save Topic
Commuting from London to Slough

Hi, we are planning to move to England from Denmark. My husband got a job in Slough; and we have two small girls. We would like to live somewhere in London, preferably an area with good public schools. We´ve been looking for house prices in Wimbledon (near Wimbledon tube station, for example) and it seems to be affordable for us, and well communicated. However, I am afraid the commuting time will be too long. Google maps says it takes 45 minutes drive. And in a journey planner web site it says it could take between 50 min and 1,10 h, via Paddington and depending on the train you catch.

I wonder, are these travel times realistic?? Specially the driving time? Would one expect to encounter frequent traffic jams? Are tube/train timetables reliable?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Newbury, United...
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Commuting from London to Slough

The times are not realistic.

The maximum he would spend on a train is probably 30mins and there are much faster trains available taking only 15mins.

This page should answer all of your questions regarding trains. …nationalrail.co.uk/service/…dep

As for driving times, I cannot comment but I imagine the 45mins drive time is correct, possibly slightly longer due to traffic. In this siuation a train would definitely be the recommended travel route.

Hope I have helped, if you need any more advice feel free to ask.

Newbury, United...
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Commuting from London to Slough

As an aside, those times were chosen for a random date (next Tuesday) and so prices and times may vary. On weekdays however I would anticipate the times to remain exactly the same.

Newbury, United...
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Commuting from London to Slough

Last post - I had not seen the bit about Wimbledon. In this case he would want to take the underground/tube from Wimbledon to Paddington which takes around 30mins, and from there the 15min train to Slough, total time being 45mins. In this case, I would imagine it would be the same time as driving, so it's really up to your husband as to which option he takes.

Hope that helps!

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,166 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Commuting from London to Slough

Wimbledon is an odd choice for housing if working in Slough. The train option requires you to use the Tube to go to Paddington which eliminates the advantages of "going against traffic". Driving isn't much better as you have Heathrow between Wimbledon & Slough. Also the costs of the commuting won't be that low so you need to factor in that when assessing overall affordability - personally I'd be willing to pay more to cut the length of the commute

Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7,614 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Commuting from London to Slough

Why do people dig up these old posts and start answering them ?

6. Re: Commuting from London to Slough

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 04:42
Get answers to your questions about Reading