We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weekend away with the boys

Level Contributor
40 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Weekend away with the boys

Hi,

Myself and three friends are planning an overnight stay in Reading in July. We are intending to go to the races in Newbury and then head back to Reading for a nice meal out and a few drinks.

We are all married and in our late thirties so nightclubbing is probably not on our agenda!

The first advice I need is a fairly decent hotel in good proximately to the railway station and some nice bars. Having done my own research we are considering the Pentahotel or the Mecure? Are these any good? Also we wanted to be fairly near the Oracle as we have been told there are some nice places to eat? My knowledge of Reading is limited so some clarification of this advice would be great!

In terms of a night out could someone suggest a few smart bars and couple of restaurants that are nearby.

Many thanks,

Ben

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
20,894 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weekend away with the boys

I haven't any particular bar/restaurant recommendations, but here is a link to the 'Visit Reading' website which has lots of information about the town - a much under-rated place IMO.

http://www.livingreading.co.uk/visit-reading

I'd also recommend posting on the 'Reading Forum' website, which is packed with knowledgeable locals! It's easy to register and you will get lots of tips from locals 'in-the-know'.

http://www.reading-forum.co.uk

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Barnstaple, Robin Hood's Bay, Whitby
Level Contributor
4,865 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weekend away with the boys

If you enjoy real ale definitely go to the fantastic and quirky Alehouse (aka the Hob Goblin - just near the Oracle shopping centre)

http://www.hobgoblinreading.co.uk/

It is my favourite pub in Reading by far, but there are lots of bars in the city centre, including all the usual chain type places (All Bar One, Yates, Walkabout, etc). At the back of the Oracle there is a 'riverside' area with bars and restaurants:

http://www.theoracle.com/dining

Although the place I'd really recommend is a bit of a walk from the city centre, Miah's Garden of Gulab (Indian)

miahs.co.uk/html/restaurant_reading_gog.html

And you can now be collected and brought to/from your meal:

www.miahs.co.uk/html/offers_reading_gog.php

The food there when I lived in Reading was FANTASTIC so worth the trip. You have the Three Tuns and the College Arms (the latter a bit rough and ready but usually quite lively) on the Wokingham Rd. If you like seafood - and within walking distance of the Oracle - is Loch Fyne, which was lovely when we ate there (nice setting, too):

lochfyne-restaurants.com/restaurants/reading

Afraid I can't help with the hotels but hope that is some assistance with the food/drink!

Reading,
Level Contributor
46 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weekend away with the boys

The great thing about Reading is that everything is so compact and you can move between pubs/bars etc so easily. Everything in the centre is a 10 minute walk apart at most and the variety means that many age ranges are catered for. Good hotels near the station include Malmaison and Novotel but the centre of Reading is noisy late into the night if you are going be there at the weekend. The Mercure is the historic hotel in town and, although we have never stayed as we live in the town, friends have given good reports. The riverside in the Oracle contains a number of restaurants and bars but the majority of them are chains. The top end of the restaurants would be Cerise at the Forbury Hotel and the Forbury Restaurant. Medium to expensive restaurants that we would recommend include Malmaison, Browns, Lime Square and the London Street Brasserie. There are many others including Strada, Las Iguanas, Cafe Rouge, Pizza Express, La Tasca ...... we could go on and on. Patisserie Valerie has just opened and is just great for the hangover busting breakfasts, as is Bills (our favourite breakfast place).

Reasonable bars on the Riverside are Las Iguanas (killer cocktails), All Bar One and Slug & Lettuce. Revolution is a good bar with dancing without being too clubby and O'Neills has live cover bands (Indie) at the weekend. There is a really good Real Ale pub called the Nags Head which is a little out of town. There are 3 Weatherspoons pubs but I would only recommend the Back of Beyond. The Hobgoblin is very small but worth the effort (sorry, can't remember the new name of this pub). Sweeney Todds is a quieter pub with good real ales. The Oakford Social Club (a pub) opposit the station is a bit studenty and the staff seem to be trained to not serve drinks!.

Basically, there are so many places to go that you can just move on if you do not like the one you are in. Have a great night!

Level Contributor
40 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weekend away with the boys

Brilliant, thanks very much for all the replys! Some excellent suggestions and loads to keep us going. We have booked into the Pentahotel as we managed to get a fantastic rate. Really looking forward to the trip now!

Cheers

Ben

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Barnstaple, Robin Hood's Bay, Whitby
Level Contributor
4,865 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weekend away with the boys

No worries Ben - enjoy your trip

Bruce, the Hobgoblin is now the Alehouse, as I said in my reply before.

6. Re: Weekend away with the boys

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 12:16
Get answers to your questions about Reading