We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What To Do With Luggage

Lafayette...
Level Contributor
270 posts
725 reviews
Save Topic
What To Do With Luggage

My wife and are leaving Bath in early Oct and traveling to Heathrow. We were hoping to leave Bath around 11AM, take the train to Reading to walk the canal and have lunch - then catch the Rail-link bus into Heathrow late that afternoon. The only issue is luggage. It doesn't appear that the train station has a left-luggage facility from their webpage. If that is correct, any other ideas on places that might hold our suitcases for 3 or 4 hours? And is the stop in Reading worthwhile?

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,153 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What To Do With Luggage

I would extend your time in Bath and go straight to Heathrow from there.

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,382 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: What To Do With Luggage

What little I know of the canal in Reading says it's not worth breaking your journey to walk along.

Lafayette...
Level Contributor
270 posts
725 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What To Do With Luggage

Thanks for the comments - sounds like we'll leave our luggage at the hotel and enjoy Bath a little longer.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
20,898 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What To Do With Luggage

There is a Bag Shop in Reading which claims to offer a left luggage service, here is the link:

www.yell.com/b/The+Bag+Shop-Luggage+and+Bags-Reading-RG11JL-863970

I offer no guarantees - it would be entirely at your own risk.

The Reading Heritage Walk might interest you. If you start at the Town Hall/Museum they reception desk might be able to give you a leaflet.

http://www.livingreading.co.uk/heritage-walk

Edited: 01 August 2012, 15:58
UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What To Do With Luggage

I live very close to Reading. As per the above posts i can confirm you should definitely extend your time in Bath.

Also, i would change your travel plans to get to Heathrow. Although it will be slightly more expensive, at a quick glance about £10 more, i would adviser you to train to Paddington and then HEX or Connect back to Heathrow.

This way you avoid waiting for a bus that may get stuck in traffic, both in the center of town, or the motorway. Elapsed time will be similar especially if you take the HEX.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
20,898 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What To Do With Luggage

Sorry, the left luggage link didn't work.

The Bag Shop

41 Market Place

Reading

RG1 2DE

Tel: (+44) 118 959 9959

Lafayette...
Level Contributor
270 posts
725 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What To Do With Luggage

Thanks for the additional information on a possible bag drop. Based on the input, I think we will skip Reading and spend the last half day in Bath.

As far as getting to Heathrow, a number of people have suggested that the National Express bus is probably the easiest way to get there. I appreciate the train idea but the bus negates the transfer required at Paddington with luggage and offers a comfortable ride all the way to the airport. Although traffic could delay the coach, the timing doesn't matter since our flight isn't until early the next day. Unless I'm missing something, it sounds like the simplest solution.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What To Do With Luggage

<<but the bus negates the transfer required at Paddington with luggage>>

Both are about the same distance to take your luggage, though you'll need to go up escalators or get a lift at Reading, its all on the flat at Paddington.

<< Although traffic could delay the coach, the timing doesn't matter since our flight isn't until early the next day.>>

In which case you might as well save the tenner each and stick with Plan A.

<<Unless I'm missing something, it sounds like the simplest solution>>

I think they are both equally simple, just the one transfer. Which is under cover at Paddington. Outdoors at Reading, possibly in the rain which its depressingly doing again as I type :-(

Lafayette...
Level Contributor
270 posts
725 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What To Do With Luggage

Thanks for the quick response. We were actually planning to skip Reading completely and take the National Express coach direct from Bath - as I understand it, no stops required right into Heathrow.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What To Do With Luggage

Even better in that case. And a fair bit cheaper I'd have thought?

Edited: 02 August 2012, 01:37
Get answers to your questions about Reading