We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Megabus

Dartmouth...
Level Contributor
310 posts
143 reviews
Save Topic
Megabus

Has anyone used Megabus to get from London to Bath?

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
58,530 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Megabus

'Has anyone used Megabus to get from London to Bath?' I should think a great many people have done so.

I haven't used Megabus to Bath but have for London Waterloo to and from Southampton Central. Aside from having more pounds in my pocket after having booked Megabus tickets the journey was identical to that of others on the train.

As I had no ticket for the barriers at Waterloo I asked a station agent to open a barrier for access to the platform and told him I had a Megabus ticket. On board when asked for a ticket I showed the guard the picture I'd taken of the confirmation page with the necessary confirmation number(s) and information and that was that. If need be I'd have had the booking confirmation to show the agent at Waterloo as well, but wasn't asked for it.

Megabus tickets can be good value if you're willing to book 45 days in advance and acknowledge that there may be a limited number of train times and fares.

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Southampton
Southampton
Hampshire, UK
Lancashire, United...
Level Contributor
19,264 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Megabus

In case you were wondering, it isn't a bus from London to Bath.

Instead Megabus offer cheap fares on South West Trains services from London Waterloo railway station to Bath.

Looks like the cheapest fare they offer is £10 one way on selected trains, which can work out cheaper than buying direct from the South West Trains website.

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Dartmouth...
Level Contributor
310 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Megabus

Many thanks for your input. It looks like we use the megabus company

Pewsey, United...
Destination Expert
for Wiltshire
Level Contributor
10,714 posts
433 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Megabus

But the fastest train to Bath is the Great Western service out of London Paddington so you may want to look at the trade off between price and speed?

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Midsomer Norton...
Level Contributor
79 posts
644 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Megabus

you will have a long wait because Megabus does not run from Bath. If you go to Bristol you'll have more luck.

if you buy tickets in advance the single fare is five pounds and a little bit more on the return depending on the day of the week. The buses leave from < roll of drums> The bus station which is adjacent to the train station.

The first bus for London leads about 3.30 in the morning if I recall.

we always use buses because the trains cost a small fortune and you only save an hour anyway

Mentioned in this post
Bristol
Bristol
England, UK
London
London
England, UK
Dartmouth...
Level Contributor
310 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Megabus

Thanks for your info Brian

Surrey UK
Level Contributor
1,963 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Megabus

Just to clarify, Megabus does offer a service between London and Bath/Bath Spa (same place), only it's not on a bus. It's on a train that goes a long way round and stops more often than the fast trains operated by gwr.com. There are only a limited number of departures available but they're cheap and worth checking out if you're not in a hurry.

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Dartmouth...
Level Contributor
310 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Megabus

thanks I'll check it out

9. Re: Megabus

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 February 2018, 15:18