We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kennet & Avon Canal towpath condition?

Slough, United...
Level Contributor
162 posts
470 reviews
Save Topic
Kennet & Avon Canal towpath condition?

Hi All,

I am planning on walking part of the Kennet & Avon canal over the May Day Bank Holiday with my wife and 2 friends. We plan to start from Pewsey and walk to Devizes before stopping overnight, then do Devizes to Bradford on Avon on the 2nd day and do Bradford on Avon to Bristol (Temple Meads train station), on day 3.

My question is, what is the condition of the surface along this part, particularly from Pewsey to Devizes? Am I right in believing that from Devizes to Bristol the surface is good and solid?

This will obviously determine our choice of footwear. Can we get away with trainers, or do we need to wear proper boots (which I tend to wear only when the surface is very poor)?

Thanks in anticipation of your response.

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath from...
5,300 Reviews
from US$126.70*
Special Offer
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, and Bath...
2,098 Reviews
from US$134.60*
Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge Inner Circle Access, Bath...
841 Reviews
from US$192.20*
Stonehenge and Bath Day Trip from...
448 Reviews
from US$99.70*
South West England...
Level Contributor
2,521 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kennet & Avon Canal towpath condition?

Devizes - Bath is hard surface but may puddle in the wet. Have not done much of Devizes - Pewsey but what I did was similar. but as this is in Wiltshire you may get a better response in the Wiltshire forum.

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
11,565 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kennet & Avon Canal towpath condition?

The K&A towpath stops in Bath, it's about a 10 mile walk from BoA.

Not sure how you would walk to Temple Meads from Bath, the cyclepath using the old Midland railway finishes some way from TM - or used to.

Bath UK
Destination Expert
for Bath
Level Contributor
2,610 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kennet & Avon Canal towpath condition?

Bath to Bristol:

This site might be helpful http://www.riveravontrail.org.uk/archive.asp There are a few footpaths along the river but not for the entire route. A lot of the fields flood after a few days of heavy rain.

I reckon I would walk along the river as far as the Locksbrook Inn (was the Dolphin) and then make my way to the Bristol-Bath cycle path. I'm pretty certain that Temple Meads is signposted from the end of the railway stretch. sustrans.org.uk/sites/…202012.pdf

I can't help re the towpath beyond Devizes. I would have thought it was fine because it is a busy canal.

Back in September they filmed Nigel Havers, Lorraine Chase, Debbie McGee and Simon Callow tackling the canal for channel 5 (they started in Bath). It looks as if you can view it online channel5.com/show/celebrity-carry-on-barging

There might be a few glimpses of the towpath.

Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
287 posts
447 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kennet & Avon Canal towpath condition?

The canal towpath was recently refurbished at between Bath and Bathampton - bathchronicle.co.uk/bathampton-new-towpath/s…

Slough, United...
Level Contributor
162 posts
470 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kennet & Avon Canal towpath condition?

Thanks all for your responses, very helpful & much appreciaed!

Taunton, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kennet & Avon Canal towpath condition?

The Kennet and Avon is a well used towpath. Conditions are generally good especially around towns. Walking you'll be fine throughout but expect puddles after heavy rain.

7. Re: Kennet & Avon Canal towpath condition?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 February 2018, 13:16
Our community is here to help!
Ask questions, get advice and more from travellers like you.
Join TripAdvisor