We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bath Fringe Festival

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
20 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Bath Fringe Festival

Planning a short stop at Bath on the way to the Costwalds. Will the Bath Fringe Festival turn a "short drive" into a dreadful one? Would love some input on how the festival will impact the driving conditions. Thanks.

Best Seller
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, and Bath...
5,597 Reviews
from US$119.50*
Special Offer
Stonehenge, Windsor and Bath with Pub...
2,224 Reviews
from US$109.90*
US$122.10
Stonehenge and Bath Day Trip from...
531 Reviews
from US$83.10*
Lancashire, United...
Level Contributor
19,317 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bath Fringe Festival

Why would a small festival that is held in small venues across the city "impact the driving conditions"?

How long is a "short stop", and where do you plan on driving to in Bath before you go to the Cotswolds (not Cotswalds)?

Wiltshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Wiltshire
Level Contributor
10,868 posts
434 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bath Fringe Festival

Bath can be an awkward place to drive whether or not there is a festival going on. There is a simple solution - leave the car at the edge of the city and use the frequent, clean, effective park and ride buses that have their own lanes in many parts of the city. https:/…bath-park-and-ride

South West England...
Level Contributor
2,768 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bath Fringe Festival

No such thing as a short drive in Bath. Congestion & parking can be a problem regardless of festivals. I don't really think the Bath fringe is such a big deal but use the park & ride anyway.

https:/…bath-park-and-ride

Level Contributor
3,608 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Bath Fringe Festival

The Bath Fringe is not a big deal at all. A few small gigs in a few small venues. But traffic and parking are always tricky.

The thing that can really make Bath even more difficult for driving and parking (and getting into restaurants) is rugby. I speak from experience and kicked myself for not checking whether there was a match on, the day I planned a quick visit.

Edited: 11 March 2017, 16:47
Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
12,472 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bath Fringe Festival

The problems of driving in Bath are ridiculously overstated - as if no-one had problems in driving anywhere else in Britain. And there is such a thing as a short drive, but you have to plan it.

Arriving in the city at 09:00 on a Monday morning will not be a short drive, obviously, but arriving at 07:30 will.

We don't actually know when Sam plans to arrive, nor what she plans to do once at the festival - if indeed she plans to visit it.

She needs to tell us

a) where she is driving from and what time she plans to leave there

b) where in the Cotswolds she is headed, and what time she wants to arrive there

c) does she plan to visit anything at the festival, or is she just being a tourist.

Over to you, Sam.

The rugby season will be long over by the time the festival starts btw.

Edited: 11 March 2017, 18:35
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
20 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bath Fringe Festival

Hi all,

Thank you very much for the info! I'll be driving from London to Stonehedge on Monday, June 5. Will have a quick stop at Stonehedge and then head to Bath right after. We don't have time to visit the festival - just hit up the touristy stuff. We will be heading to the Cotswolds after Bath (as of now, first stop will likely be Castle Combe). We don't have an exact arrival time. Any recommendations on favorite Cotswold villages are also highly appreciated!

Thanks again, everyone!! :)

Level Contributor
3,608 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Bath Fringe Festival

STONEHENGE not Stonehedge.

Lancashire, United...
Level Contributor
19,317 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bath Fringe Festival

Malmesbury, Tetbury, the rest of the Cotswolds are alien to me. ;-)

9. Re: Bath Fringe Festival

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 March 2018, 12:17