We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Two days in Bath? Trip recommendations

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
9 posts
110 reviews
Save Topic
Two days in Bath? Trip recommendations

Hi all,

I am planning a trip to Bath in April for 4 days. I am hoping to take a day trip to Cardiff, and a day trip to Stonehenge (considering going with MadMax Tours: http://www.madmaxtours.co.uk/tours/stonehenge-full-day-tour) so that leaves 2 full days in Bath.

I have planned to see the Roman Baths, Bath Abbey, and No. 1 Royal Crescent. I'm very into history so let me know any hidden gems maybe?

Do you think I am wasting a day going to Cardiff, is two days enough to see most of Bath?

Thanks in advance!

Mayor's Honorary Guides
Cultural Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Mad Max Tours
Sightseeing Tours
Around and About Bath
Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Food Tours
Highlights of Bath City Walk
Private Tours, City Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours
Basingstoke, United...
Level Contributor
2,944 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Two days in Bath? Trip recommendations

I think that 2 days would be about right. We took a one day trip but didn't have time to see everything.

Lancashire, United...
Level Contributor
17,592 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Two days in Bath? Trip recommendations

Yes 2 days is enough to see all of Bath. On the other 2 days you will be in Bath in the evening too. It's nice to walk around at night and see the Abbey, Pulteney Bridge etc all lit up.

On Upper Borough Walls you can see part of the old medieval city wall opposite the Royal Mineral Water Hospital. And it's nice just to walk along the streets that are filled with Georgian Buildings - Milsom Street, George Street, the Paragon, Queen Square, the Circus, the Assembley Rooms. Plus the narrow pedestrianised streets in between Union Street and High Street - Northumberland Place, Union Passage and The Corridor which was one of the first shopping arcades in the world.

And walk over Pulteney Bridge and along Great Pulteney Street to Sydney Gardens, where the Kennet & Avon canal goes along one side and where you'll find fascinating tunnels which you can walk through along the canal tow path.

Bath UK
Destination Expert
for Bath
Level Contributor
2,610 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Two days in Bath? Trip recommendations

"Am I wasting a day going to Cardiff?" I suppose it depends on your interests but I think I must make at least one day-trip a year (and we've still not been in the castle). They are doing work on the Bath train station from 8-23 April so double check here to make sure there are trains running on the day you plan to visit

For ideas about what to do in Bath you might find some inspiration from the website www.visitbath.co.uk. Bath is full of old historic buildings so it is actually worth just wandering around the backstreets to have a look to see what is there. Bath's Industrial past is less evident but you might enjoy a short trip to the Museum of Bath at Work if you find you have a spare hour (I think it reopens in April). It is a good contrast to the Assembly Rooms and Royal Crescent nearby.

I hope the weather stays fine for you

Level Contributor
53 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Two days in Bath? Trip recommendations

Last summer I gave myself three full days in Bath and it was enough. On Saturdays there are free walking tours that start in front of the Roman Bath. Our guide took us up to the Crescent and knew so much history about the city. I would check that tours are conducted in April. I toured the Roman Bath at 7:00 PM, when there was no line and no crowd. Much better than waiting in line for hours and wasting precious time! In the Bath Abbey there are guided tours up to the bell tower, but you must climb over 200 steps. The view from the top is amazing! I also took a day tour to the Cotswolds that I recommend.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
1,041 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Two days in Bath? Trip recommendations

I don't think you are wasting a day in Cardiff. I thoroughly enjoyed visiting the Castle and the Mermaid Quay area, which I got to by boat, from the park next to the Castle.

In Bath I would add to your list : checking out the Guildhall Market, quite a unique building, very close to the Abbey.

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
11,581 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Two days in Bath? Trip recommendations

We lived in Bath for 40 years - and stil have a base there. There is stuff fthat as a resident I still haven't seen, so 2 days will give you the basics - anyone who says 3 days is enough hasn't done enough research.

Just wandering around looking at the architecture can take days - don't forget to look up - things like the Window Tax come to light when you look around and the Tropme l'oeil need to searched for.

So yes, 2 days will get you started, and the Mad Max tour is excellent if you want to see Stonehenge - which isn't a henge btw.

Edited: 18 March 2017, 05:38
Netanya, Israel
Level Contributor
12,095 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Two days in Bath? Trip recommendations

Don't miss the boat cruise on River Avon, it's most pleasant.

Fashion Museum was also nice.

We've spent 2 full days in Bath. If we'd have one more day, we'd visit the Prior Park. It can be easily reached by bus.

Most important in Bath, is just to walk it's streets, enjoying Georgian Architecture.

8. Re: Two days in Bath? Trip recommendations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 March 2018, 13:17
Follow this conversation!
Get notified when a new reply comes in.
Follow now