We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary help please - from London to Bath?

Auckland, New...
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Itinerary help please - from London to Bath?

Hi there,

We pick up a van at 2.30pm London Heathrow early June. There is 7 adults.

Want to see Bath, Stonehenge and the Cotswolds over about 4 days before going north.

Should we drive London to Bath and stay maybe 3 nights including a day trip to Stonehenge?

Then go to Cotswolds for 2 nights?

People have suggested stay in 1 place as a base but would have to travel everyday and if I had to choose I would want Cotswolds as a base but its a long way to Stonehenge. Don't want to be driving everyday, I hear parking is tricky in Bath but we could leave it at hotel 2 days in Bath not travelling.

Would appreciate any advise. Thanks so much,

Mentioned in this post
Stonehenge
Stonehenge
14 Reviews
Bath, UK
Cotswolds
Cotswolds
England, UK
Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath from...
5,358 Reviews
from US$131.10*
Special Offer
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, and Bath...
2,128 Reviews
from US$139.80*
US$155.40
Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge Inner Circle Access, Bath...
855 Reviews
from US$198.10*
Stonehenge and Bath Day Trip from...
462 Reviews
from US$105.50*
Pewsey, United...
Destination Expert
for Wiltshire
Level Contributor
8,852 posts
334 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary help please - from London to Bath?

There seems to be some issues with this. So I suggest:

Use Cirencester as the base throughout. It is the self-styled "gateway to the Cotswolds" and has significant Roman ruins of its own. but is only an hour to drive to either Bath or Stonehenge. Bath has an excellent park and ride system and Stonehenge has ample car parking

If your plan is to arrive at Heathrow off a long haul flight and immediately set off in a large, unfamiliar vehicle to drive for several hours, please think long and hard about that proposition - then don't! Have a look at a short drive to say Windsor for a night in bed and also to see the castle. Much safer.

Mentioned in this post
Cotswolds
Cotswolds
England, UK
Stonehenge
Stonehenge
14 Reviews
Bath, UK
The Windsor
The Windsor
865 Reviews
Bath, UK
Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Amesbury, London
Level Contributor
7,761 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary help please - from London to Bath?

After you've picked up your MPV / minibus, drive from Heathrow to Stonehenge. Visit Stonehenge. Drive on to Bath. Park the van. Sorted.

It's about 90 mins from Heathrow; Be at Stonehenge before 6pm as that's last admission. Allow a good 90 mins there, up to 2 hours. Then Bath is an hour further on.

Mentioned in this post
Stonehenge
Stonehenge
14 Reviews
Bath, UK
Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Amesbury, London
Level Contributor
7,761 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary help please - from London to Bath?

Ps. Are you planning on getting a 7-seater MPV or a minibus? If the former, I'm not convinced you'll get your luggage in. Well, I know you won't.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
64,546 posts
451 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary help please - from London to Bath?

Indeed. 7 adults plus luggage needs more than a 7 seater vehicle. A minibus would be the solution.

As advised, please don't drive after arriving on a long haul flight.

Lancashire, United...
Level Contributor
18,184 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary help please - from London to Bath?

I'd get a move on and book accommodation, especially as there is seven of you.

Also, very few hotels in Bath have their own car park. Off the top of my head the only two I can think of are the Holiday Inn Express on Lower Bristol Road and the Travelodge Bath Waterside.

Mentioned in this post
Holiday Inn Express Bath
Holiday Inn Express Bath
1,569 Reviews
Bath, UK
Travelodge Bath Waterside
Travelodge Bath Waterside
275 Reviews
Bath, UK
Machynlleth, United...
Level Contributor
2,512 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary help please - from London to Bath?

Where are you going after this trip? Back to Heathrow?

Would the visit to Stonehenge fit better on the journey back?

Mentioned in this post
Stonehenge
Stonehenge
14 Reviews
Bath, UK
South West England...
Level Contributor
2,568 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary help please - from London to Bath?

Personally I'd stay a couple of nights in Bath to give time for Bath sites and Stonehenge. Then move to Cirencester on your way North. Staying all the time at Cirencester will increase the driving time and reduce time sightseeing.

Mentioned in this post
Stonehenge
Stonehenge
14 Reviews
Bath, UK
Cardiff, United...
Destination Expert
for Cardiff
Level Contributor
9,008 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Itinerary help please - from London to Bath?

" I hear parking is tricky in Bath but we could leave it at hotel 2 days in Bath"

Assuming the hotel has parking. The rest of your post makes it sound like you haven't yet booked a hotel, but you are making this assumption - however the lack of parking at many hotels is one of the reasons visitors are advised that parking is tricky...

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
12,229 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Itinerary help please - from London to Bath?

Find a hotel in Bath that suits you and if it doesn't have on-site parking contact them to find out how they solve the problem.

Friends of mine run a B&B in the city centre, they always manage to arrange parking for their visitors, despite having none available of their own.

If hotels in Bath weren't adept at organising parking for their visitors they would go out of business.

Edited: 03 April 2017, 04:48
10. Re: Itinerary help please - from London to Bath?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 April 2018, 13:17