We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cycling to Goodwood Festival of Speed

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
90 reviews
Save Topic
Cycling to Goodwood Festival of Speed

We are thinking of cycling to Goodwood Festival of Speed. It seems there are bike racks in the car parks. I'm not a regular cyclist and a bit nervous on busy roads - am I going to be on narrow roads surrounded by fast moving traffic?

8 replies to this topic
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
7,120 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cycling to Goodwood Festival of Speed

You won't be surrounded by fast moving traffic on narrow roads if you cycle assertively. Keep at least one metre from the side of the road and don't be afraid to take the lane (ride in the center of the lane) where you thing it would be unsafe for anyone to try to pass you. Remember cars should give you at least 1.5 meters space when overtaking and the Highway Code shows they should move fully into the next lane.

If you are very nervous see if your local council rides a Bikeabilty scheme as lessons are usually free. Find some rides on www.letsride.co.uk before you go and cycle with a small group.

You don't say where you are starting from, so can't advise which roads to take.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cycling to Goodwood Festival of Speed

Would be coming from the Bosham / Fishbourne area. The other alternative would be to take the train into Chichester and the shuttle bus from there, but I don't know how busy the shuttle bus will get and how long we might end up queuing for onw

West Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
41 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cycling to Goodwood Festival of Speed

I think there is a cycle path from Bosham. If FOS runs true to form the traffic will be very slow aka gridlocked.

Essex
Level Contributor
31,535 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cycling to Goodwood Festival of Speed

Having been there once, (on me M-bike) I'd say that it's likely that, for this event, most 'motorised vehicle' traffic, is going to be at a crawl, anyway!

But, watch out for M-bikes, tho most of them will be sympathetic to, and watching out for you!

I have a friend lives in Bosham, it's a fair distance! If your not that fit, or not used to cycling, it could be a big 'ask'.....

Havant, United...
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Cycling to Goodwood Festival of Speed

yes I have cycled to the festivak of speed there are some limited bicycle parking facilities and yes there are narrow country roads, Mainly though the traffic is heavy and frequently slow moving.

hope this helps

regards

simon

1 post
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Cycling to Goodwood Festival of Speed

I am also thinking of cycling into Goodwood from either East Lavant or Halnaker. Are there any hills on these stretches?

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cycling to Goodwood Festival of Speed

Having cycled there this year, I can now pass on useful information to anybody wanting to cycle for future years. We went on the Friday, getting there around 8:30am, and it was fairly quiet at that time. We cycled along the Centurian Way cycle track to East Lavant, and along New Road from there. The roads weren't too busy. The main car park had cycle racks by where you go into the event. There was a small hill on the way from East Lavant but it wasn't much of a hill. On the way back (around 7pm) it was a bit busier, but not too bad, and all the car drivers were very considerate.

Essex
Level Contributor
31,535 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cycling to Goodwood Festival of Speed

Glad it went OK and that you survived. Hope you had a lovely time, Goodwood is amazing, isn't it?

Reply to: Cycling to Goodwood Festival of Speed
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Chichester