We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hertz Leeds Bradford Airport car rental

Island of Gozo...
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Hertz Leeds Bradford Airport car rental

I recently visited the UK and rented a car from Hertz Leeds Bredford Airport. On arrival, it took ages to get the car. At the Hertz counter they said that this was due to a software problem with my reservation. While waiting to be given the car, other clients were being served, and we were promised an upgrade for our patience, but at the end the upgrade never arrived. This was OK because all we wanted to do was leave the airport and start our holiday.

The car was fine, we had a nice holiday and returned the car as instructed.

Some days later, my VISA account was credited with Stg 42 from Hertz. On enquiring about this charge, I discovered that this was an “Administration Fee” for giving my details to the Traffic Bureau for a speeding fine (while driving at 35mph).

This means that Hertz charges 42 pounds for querying its database and passing the information to the police. I did not find it written anywhere in the small print of their T&C, but I believe that this is called OVERCHARGING customers.

Mentioned in this post
Leeds
Leeds
West Yorkshire, UK
Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
3,968 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hertz Leeds Bradford Airport car rental

This happens with other companies. I had to pay a hire firm in Australian because I was caught speeding in the middle of a desert, doing 88kms in a 80kms zone. I did not complain because I broke the speed limit so It's my fault. I'm pleased to say Britain have far stricter traffic laws then Malta making our roads safer then yours.

Edited: 04 May 2015, 20:15
Mentioned in this post
Island of Gozo...
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hertz Leeds Bradford Airport car rental

Dear Ian,

I am not complaining about the fine, I was over speeding and that is OK.

My complain is about the overcharging by Hertz, and my interest is in letting other people about this so that they can do an informed decision before renting a car.

And yes I agree with you it is very nice driving in the UK

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
3,968 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hertz Leeds Bradford Airport car rental

Just to make it clear. I had to pay the car hire company the same as you, I got the speeding ticket weeks after back in the UK. It was only when I checked bank statement did I see the extra charge the car hire firm made to give my details to the police. My fault so it did not bother me.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
44,091 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hertz Leeds Bradford Airport car rental

>>Some days later, my VISA account was credited with Stg 42 from Hertz<<

I presume you mean debited not credited ;-) Credited would be a nice thing.

Good that you want to highlight this for unwary travellers inexperienced in the art of car rental. This is common practice in the world of most car rental companies and £42 is about the norm as an admin fee and will be in the T&C's which no-one seems to think important to read. It might seem like a lot of money to provide details and I agree it could be less. I have also had to pay this to Avis in Spain when I was caught on a speed camera.

Lucky for you that you were not driving on a UK licence or you would have also had points added to your licence.

I will say though that I was also once fined in Glasgow for crossing into a bus lane by mistake and Arnold Clark (a local UK company) paid the fine on my behalf and charged my CC but to their credit they charged me nothing for the admin fee so kudos to them for that.

If I were you though I would contact Hertz customer service and explain nicely the issues you had when picking up the car and see if they would as a good will gesture remove the admin charge in this instance. Can't hurt.

Mentioned in this post
Spain
Spain
Europe
Glasgow
Glasgow
Scotland, UK
5. Re: Hertz Leeds Bradford Airport car rental

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 May 2017, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Bradford