We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Royal Procession Timing

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Topic
Royal Procession Timing

I note on the Ascot Race Course calendar that the Royal Procession starts (arrives there) at 2:00p each day. I know from past experience (but over 10 years ago) that you can get a great view of the procession coaches along the Long Walk, but do you know what time the queen typically leaves Windsor Castle and thus when you should be in place to get to see her as she is passing by on the first part of the daily journey? I would guess 1:00p would be safe since its it not that far away.

Thanks

5 replies to this topic
U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,153 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Royal Procession Timing

Hal, this isn't as simple as it seems. The place where the Queen pauses in her carriage is quite a distance from both Ascot and Windsor Castle. There is heavy security (as I am sure you can imagine) and quite a number of people who camp out all morning to catch a glimpse of her.

Are you thinking of visiting Windsor Castle that day? There are many closures in June--please see the Windsor forum where I have listed them, and/or see the official website.

royalcollection.org.uk/visit/…plan-your-visit

If you don't have a car, you would probably be looking at several miles walking, and several hours of waiting. The glimpse of the Queen is just a few minutes.

Edited: 16 May 2014, 04:46
Vail, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,107 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Royal Procession Timing

I saw the queen as well as a Andrew, Beatrix and Eugene leaving the castle for royal ascot on ladies day in cars. They got in at the entrance of the queens residence inside the courtyard at the castle and headed down the long walk. Am I wrong? Where do they get on the carriages? Do they do this upon arrival at the course?

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,153 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Royal Procession Timing

They must get on somewhere along the Long Walk, probably for security.

J B
Hartford...
10 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Royal Procession Timing

Did you end up going?

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
1 post
122 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Royal Procession Timing

I thought I would post my experience about seeing the queen this past June to have a more updated post for this strand. At about 12:20, I parked opposite the Ranger's Gate (free) just off the A332. I walked across, heading down the Prince Consort's Drive. I made a left at the first major intersection and walked by the Post Office. Not far from there, when you turn to the right and look up the hill, you will see the Golden Jubilee Statue of HRM Queen Elizabeth II riding a horse. You can walk up the mowed lawn. When you reach the statue, you turn left and walk down about 1/4 of a mile. At the first intersection, you veer right, then right again onto Duke's Lane, past a lovely little brick cottage on the east side of the street. About another 1/4 of a mile you will see the main area where people who won a parking space at the lottery have set up their chairs and picnics. It was about 2.5 miles walk.

It is low-key and fun! The Windsor school has a stand selling tea and goodies and there are a few porta-potties near the parking lot, opposite the cow field. There was notable security, but they were super friendly. They explained what would happen at what time (about 1:20 or 1:30 I think the cars pull up), and I was able to see everything and get some decent photos by standing ahead of the pack as the carriages come by. It was lovely and worth it for all aspects.

For the walk back, I discovered a bus stop in front of the Post Office and caught a local bus that took me that last part out to the Ranger's Gate. It saved about 20 minutes walk and if I were doing it again, I would check the bus stops and schedule better. Renting a bicycle to negotiate the area would be great too, but the only bike rental places I could find were in the town of Windsor, which is several miles away. I hope this information is helpful1

Edited: 24 July 2017, 03:02
Reply to: Royal Procession Timing
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted