We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Legoland Windsor Trip

Mauchline
Level Contributor
3 posts
186 reviews
Save Topic
Legoland Windsor Trip

Hi trying to plan a trip to LEGOLAND Windsor with my kids - 8yrs and 2yrs. Travelling from Glasgow...we best to fly or train? Also are the crazy process at the LEGOLAND hotel worth it, other hotel suggestions for family/interconnecting rooms much appreciated. Think may need a hire car if flying? Seems to be a very tricky and expensive place to get to from Scotland! Any advice/tips much appreciated! Will be travelling in September.

Mentioned in this post
LEGOLAND Windsor Resort
LEGOLAND Windsor Resort
16,629 Reviews
Windsor, UK
Glasgow
Glasgow
Scotland, UK
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom
11 replies to this topic
Hampshire
Level Contributor
190 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Legoland Windsor Trip

Hi have you looked at the old farmhouse Windsor it's a b&b with some family rooms (they have adjoining bedrooms.) It's 17th century quirky with grounds for the little ones to run about. I don't think public transport is easy but a nice base you could do lego land oneday and A walk around the great park with views of the castle the next . You might find using b&b and a taxi much cheaper than legoland hotel

Mentioned in this post
Windsor
Windsor
Windsor and Maidenhead, UK
Bath UK
Destination Expert
for Bath
Level Contributor
2,696 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Legoland Windsor Trip

What a shame there isn't a flight over to Billund (though there are direct BA flights from Manchester, I see). Legoland is virtually at the end of the runway there (and I think it is a nicer park).

We stayed at the Windsor Legoland hotel once (I suspect my daughter was about 4 or 5). I found it fairly hellish, my daughter adored it. Unsurprisingly the restaurant was full of overexcited/overtired toddlers.

Another time (I think it might have been an in-service day) we ended up with a very reasonable 2 day Legoland/dinner/ hotel package at the Crowne Plaza in Marlowe (nice pool, big grounds). You'd need a car for that. It took the pressure off us trying to cram everything into one day.

I imagine I found the deal on the Legoland website's hotels section.

A DIY option MIGHT be to look at staying at one of the airport hotels at Heathrow (sometimes they have come up really cheap when I've needed one). It isn't too much of a faff to get from there to Legoland

You would need to grab yourself a couple of boxes of Kellogg's cereal (to get the "grown-up goes free" vouchers).

It probably depends on your dates.

BTW, packing some snacks/sandwiches and drinks into a bag will help you keep the costs down (I found it used to distract my daughter if we were stuck in a queue).

Mentioned in this post
Billund
Billund
South Jutland, Denmark
Manchester
Manchester
Greater Manchester, UK
LEGOLAND Windsor Resort
LEGOLAND Windsor Resort
16,629 Reviews
Windsor, UK
Heathrow Airport
Heathrow Airport
Hounslow, UK
U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,680 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Legoland Windsor Trip

I would not stay at a Heathrow hotel. That seems to me to be the worst of everything--airportland is fairly dreary, not many restos, and you would need a taxi or hire care to get to Legoland.

Instead, consider the Park Farm Inn, which has family rooms, and is within walking distance to Legoland. There are other options in Windsor as well, but I can tell you that the Lego Shuttle from a property in Windsor would be a better bet than renting a car--I pass long lines trying to get into Legoland by car.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g18…

Make sure you get a Qbot.

Mentioned in this post
Heathrow Airport
Heathrow Airport
Hounslow, UK
LEGOLAND Windsor Resort
LEGOLAND Windsor Resort
16,629 Reviews
Windsor, UK
Windsor
Windsor
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
12,772 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Legoland Windsor Trip

If you stay in Windsor then you can get around by bus from Heathrow to/from the airport and legoland. Look at the holiday inn at reading, they used to do a package deal for families with a nights B&B and 2 day legoland pass. You'd need a car to get there and back, it's about 20-30min from Lego land in good traffic. I guess staying at the park is also a cost v convenience debate. If you're coming from Glasgow try and go when it's not the English school holidays!

Mentioned in this post
Windsor
Windsor
Heathrow Airport
Heathrow Airport
Hounslow, UK
Glasgow
Glasgow
Scotland, UK
U.S. expats
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,680 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Legoland Windsor Trip

Gosh, I would not stay in Reading to see Legoland. It's thirty minutes away, and even if you have good traffic, it will come to a grinding halt as you near the car park for Legoland--as I said before, when I am driving out, in the opposite direction, I pass at least a mile of cars in a standstill waiting to get into the park.

Walking, or taking the Legoland shutle (which I believe can bypass the cars) would be your better bet.

I've read accounts of families spending over an hour to get into the car park. Not a great way to start a holiday.

Mentioned in this post
LEGOLAND Windsor Resort
LEGOLAND Windsor Resort
16,629 Reviews
Windsor, UK
Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Amesbury, London, Windsor
Level Contributor
7,875 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Legoland Windsor Trip

I remember the long lines just to get into the car park!

Legoland hotel, or stay in Windsor itself and get the shuttle as mentioned above. (And if it's a Windsor hotel, make sure it really is in Windsor and not 'Slough-really-but-let's-pretend-it's-Windsor')

Mentioned in this post
LEGOLAND Windsor Resort
LEGOLAND Windsor Resort
16,629 Reviews
Windsor, UK
Windsor
Windsor
Windsor Hotel
Windsor Hotel
284 Reviews
Worthing, UK
U.S. expats
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,680 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Legoland Windsor Trip

Good point above. Make sure your "Windsor" hotel is really in Windsor, and not in Slough or out by the airport.

Mentioned in this post
Windsor
Windsor
Farnborough, United...
Level Contributor
1,947 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Legoland Windsor Trip

Yes don't do what my wife did and book a bargain hotel in Windsor that was only revealed once you booked. As you have guessed it was the other side of the M4 in Slough! We cancelled, could have probably seen Windsor from the top floor.

Mentioned in this post
Windsor
Windsor
Slough
Slough
Berkshire, UK
Hampshire
Level Contributor
190 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Legoland Windsor Trip

Hi check out the old farmhouse B & B in Windsor they have family rooms. a large garden (a large double with an adjoining twin you wold need to get a taxi but wold be easy to arrange

Edited: 06 July 2017, 21:55
Mentioned in this post
Windsor
Windsor
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Legoland Windsor Trip

Hi, just wondering if you found anything as I'm flying to Heathrow and in the same dilemma. It's just myself and 9yr old and would prefer Windsor preferably? Any suggestions would be appreciated.. Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Heathrow Airport
Heathrow Airport
Hounslow, UK
Windsor
Windsor
Reply to: Legoland Windsor Trip
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted