We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel to Cardiff

Wales
Level Contributor
98 posts
82 reviews
Save Topic
Travel to Cardiff

Hi

Staing at the Holiday Inn Express in Swansea on the weekend of Wales v France at the Milennium. looking for some advice on how to get to Cardiff on the day of the match ( & back again) without driving?

We are not big drinkers but we want to enjoy hopefully a grand slam weekend without thinking about diving on the day. The hotel isd on the M43 junction.

Many Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Swansea
Swansea
Swansea County, UK
Wales
Wales
United Kingdom
France
France
Europe
Cardiff
Cardiff
Southern Wales, UK
Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,394 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel to Cardiff

Train from Neath station is probably what you want - the hotel's web site suggests a taxi is £7 but I suspect there's a local bus service if only in the daytime

Wales, United...
Level Contributor
452 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel to Cardiff

Best non-driving way would be a taxi to Neath railway station and a train to Cardiff.

Mentioned in this post
Cardiff
Cardiff
Southern Wales, UK
Swansea, Wales
Level Contributor
162 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel to Cardiff

Only to echo what's been said really, I live just off J44 so yes your best option is to taxi to & from the train station in Neath. The hotel will probably sort out a taxi for you, but if not the biggest taxi company in Neath is Amber Cabs. Plus, right opposite the train station is a Wetherspoons pub if you fancy another pint before retiring back to the hotel!

Wales
Level Contributor
98 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel to Cardiff

many thanks for all your help as the hotel have been advising to use Swansea rail station?

Presumably on an international weekend the trains will be very busy before & after the match, is there any risk of no rooms on the train?

Grinch

Mentioned in this post
Swansea
Swansea
Swansea County, UK
Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,394 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel to Cardiff

Yes there is a risk of having to wait for a later train.

They have crowd control measures limiting access to the station

Can't see any reason for using Swansea station rather than Neath - you set off quite a few miles in the wrong direction and then pass through Neath (stopping) on the way to Cardiff

Edited: 05 March 2012, 04:09
Mentioned in this post
Cardiff
Cardiff
Southern Wales, UK
Wales, United...
Level Contributor
452 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel to Cardiff

Trains will be busy - try and get a First Great Western train rather that an Arriva Train from Neath, as First Great Western are the intercity service to London and trains are longer and have more capacity. They depart at 40 minutes past the hour from Neath. No point in going to Swansea - totally opposite direction from Cardiff and Neath is much closer to the hotel.

On the return journey Cardiff station will have crowd control - separate queues for the different directions (e.g. one queue for people heading east, one for up the Valleys, one for west). It's pretty well set up, but if you stay in Cardiff for a couple of drinks after the match you may not need to queue at all - just be sure you know the time of the last train, as they don't run terribly late.

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Swansea
Swansea
Swansea County, UK
Cardiff
Cardiff
Southern Wales, UK
Wales
Level Contributor
98 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel to Cardiff

Many Thanks for all your help, much appreciated

Wales
Level Contributor
98 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel to Cardiff

Sorry to resurrect this forum but there appears to be an opportunity to buy train tickets before we leave.

Normally I know this is cheaper but I was wondering whether there is any value considering how busy the trains will be? will it guarantee a spot on the train I pick or is it first come, first served?

Thanks

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,394 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel to Cardiff

It isn't any cheaper on this route - £7.70 a head off peak day return

I doubt if buying ahead will help - I would think that seat reservations are suspended at the busiest times as it would be impossible to allow reservation holders separate access to the trains

Ebbw Vale, United...
Destination Expert
for Santa Eulalia del Rio, Ibiza
Level Contributor
2,293 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travel to Cardiff

Hi grinch99. For a couple of hours after the game has finished all rail passengers have to stand in queues outside the station. There are anly allowed in to the platforms when trains are due and they enter on a first come first in basis. After about 2 hours things more or less return to normal.

Phil

Get answers to your questions about Swansea
Recent Conversations