We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to stay between Derry and Giant's Causeway

Michigan
Level Contributor
152 posts
111 reviews
Save Topic
where to stay between Derry and Giant's Causeway

We want to see the Giant's Causeway and also Derry. Is there a recommendation for a place to stay between Derry and the Causeway so we could use it as a base and do both? We would do each on a separate day, but would like to avoid moving each night.

Belfast
Level Contributor
2,335 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: where to stay between Derry and Giant's Causeway

Roe Park Resort is a good hotel , 17miles to Derry. 27mile to Causeway.

Oshawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1 post
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: where to stay between Derry and Giant's Causeway

Roe Park Resort is in Limavady. Quite central. They have a great spa and the food is very good.

You could also stay on the coast. I recommend Portstewart. It's a little further to Derry but worth the drive.

Columbus, Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
151 posts
699 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: where to stay between Derry and Giant's Causeway

We stayed in Port Rush in a B&B. I will try to find the name of it if you want it. We stayed in a fantastic B&B in Dingle called Arches Guest House, the second most remote B&B we have stayed in but the best place of our entire trip. It was set overlooking a lake and pastoral scene, absolutely breathtaking. The inside was spic and span and the outside was trimmed to perfection. We could sit in our room in comfortable chairs and enjoy the scene, a little bit of heaven, but the weather continued to be iffy, rain, then clear, a peak of sun, then more rain.

We looked up restaurants on Trip Advisor and decided to try the number one, The Village Tavern in Charlestown, a working class community about six miles from Donegal. I loved my shrimp scampi type dish with mozzarella, but Larry's vegetable soup was not as good as we have had. Betsy and Jeff said theirs were ok. The bar was popping - a real cultural experience - with lots of young people, many dressed in their football shirts because of the important match that was played that day. If you are going to Dingle, think about this B&B.

Michigan
Level Contributor
152 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: where to stay between Derry and Giant's Causeway

Thanks for your reply. It looks like we will be staying in the Limavady area but definitely plan to get up to Port Rush. Any suggestions in the area for dining or sights would be appreciated. We only have a few days in N Ireland so will not be going as far afield as it seems you did. Though we may get to Charlestown for those shrimp scampi! We are spending the bulk of our time in Northern England.

Coleraine, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: where to stay between Derry and Giant's Causeway

Sights wise if you are staying in Limavady and are going to the Causeway take a slight detour and go along the coastal road between Limavady and Coleraine and stop off at Mussenden temple for an hour.

discovernorthernireland.com/Mussenden-Temple…

It overlooks Downhill beach which has been used to film some of the Game of thrones scenes.

Also how about a little detour after visiting the causeway to see the dark hedges

tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g186471-…

Also Dunluce Castle is also worth a look around.

tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g209952-…

Foodwise if you are looking for breakfast / light lunch I would try Crusoe's Coffee shop in castle rock.

tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g209962-…

Dinner wise there is the Harbour bar in Portrush, which do great steaks on their fire pit but the waiting times can be horrendous, but they also have their new restaurant the Mermaid which takes reservations.

Michigan
Level Contributor
152 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: where to stay between Derry and Giant's Causeway

Great recommendations! Thanks for your replies. I will definitely follow up on your suggestions.

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,389 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: where to stay between Derry and Giant's Causeway

Crusoes is lovely but don't go if you're in a hurry. Their service "system" is a bit of a joke locally it is so bad! It has a nice ambience but service is relaxed in the extreme...

Michigan
Level Contributor
152 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: where to stay between Derry and Giant's Causeway

Good to know. We try to stay on "holiday time" when we travel and not rush, but you never know when it is necessary. I've checked out the sites you recommended and will definitely do the drive and stop at Mussenden Temple and Dunluce Castle. We are staying at Ballycarton House in Limavady. My husband's birthday is May 16 while we are there. Can you recommend someplace for a birthday dinner. We do not travel with very dressy clothes, but certainly look presentable, so nothing too fancy. But a place with really good food and not too far from ou r base would be good. Of course, we'll ask where we are staying when we get there, but would appreciate any suggestion you might have. Also, is a reservation needed? Thanks

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
3,420 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: where to stay between Derry and Giant's Causeway

"Port Rush", would be Portrush.

10. Re: where to stay between Derry and Giant's Causeway

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 March 2015, 12:24
Get answers to your questions about Derry