We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

March 17 Bank Holiday

Old Field, New York
Level Contributor
441 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
March 17 Bank Holiday

Hello

My companion and I will be taking a day trip on March 17 from Belfast to Derry. In finalizing our plans, we have a four part question which we have recieved contradictory answers on by direct email to the tourist authority. Given that March 17 is a Bank Holiday:

(1) Will the Tower Museum be open even though its normally closed on Mondays?

(2) Will the Guildhall be open even though it contains certain government/civic offices that close on Bank Holidays?

(3) Will the Wokhouse Museum be open?

(4) Will the Free Derry Museum be open?

Please know I am not being lazy--I have tried to get these answers directly from the source but after frustration galore I have come to the Destination Experts for answers.

Thank You

P.S. One more question--am I correct in assuming that if we arrive by train we can walk up to the Ebrington Complex and walk across the bridge to the Guild Hall/Walled City? I know there is a shuttle bus from train station to bus station but we would prefer to walk and it looks like its a 20 or so minute walk.

Thanks again and an early Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Edited: 19 February 2014, 06:46
Belfast
Level Contributor
2,305 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: March 17 Bank Holiday

Not sure about opening of Guild Hall or the rest, But i am sure you could walk up to Ebrington in 7 or 8 mins and cross the Peace bridge.

I can highly recommend Martin McCrossans City tour as a great way to get learn the history of the Maiden city.

I runs 4 times a day at 10.00,12.00,14.00 and 16.00, from the Foyleside Shopping center, no booking required, its the best £4 you will spend in Derry.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
3,282 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: March 17 Bank Holiday

You can walk via Ebrington and across the Peace Bridge, although it is nearer to use the Craigavon Bridge (lower deck).

The Guildhall is hosting a food festival over the weekend, open 12 noon to 6pm on Sat, Sun and Mon:

www.derrycity.gov.uk/StPatricksDay/home

3. Re: March 17 Bank Holiday

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 February 2015, 14:19
Get answers to your questions about Derry
Recent Conversations