We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

March 17 Bank Holiday

Old Field, New York
Level Contributor
462 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
March 17 Bank Holiday

Hello

My companion and I will be taking a day trip on March 17 from Belfast to Derry. In finalizing our plans, we have a four part question which we have recieved contradictory answers on by direct email to the tourist authority. Given that March 17 is a Bank Holiday:

(1) Will the Tower Museum be open even though its normally closed on Mondays?

(2) Will the Guildhall be open even though it contains certain government/civic offices that close on Bank Holidays?

(3) Will the Wokhouse Museum be open?

(4) Will the Free Derry Museum be open?

Please know I am not being lazy--I have tried to get these answers directly from the source but after frustration galore I have come to the Destination Experts for answers.

Thank You

P.S. One more question--am I correct in assuming that if we arrive by train we can walk up to the Ebrington Complex and walk across the bridge to the Guild Hall/Walled City? I know there is a shuttle bus from train station to bus station but we would prefer to walk and it looks like its a 20 or so minute walk.

Thanks again and an early Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Edited: 19 February 2014, 06:46
Mentioned in this post
Belfast
Belfast
Northern Ireland, UK
Derry
Derry
County Londonderry, UK
Tower Museum
Tower Museum
403 Reviews
Derry, UK
Guildhall
Guildhall
759 Reviews
Derry, UK
Belfast
Level Contributor
2,503 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: March 17 Bank Holiday

Not sure about opening of Guild Hall or the rest, But i am sure you could walk up to Ebrington in 7 or 8 mins and cross the Peace bridge.

I can highly recommend Martin McCrossans City tour as a great way to get learn the history of the Maiden city.

I runs 4 times a day at 10.00,12.00,14.00 and 16.00, from the Foyleside Shopping center, no booking required, its the best £4 you will spend in Derry.

Mentioned in this post
Peace bridge
Peace bridge
1,052 Reviews
Derry, UK
Derry
Derry
County Londonderry, UK
Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
4,116 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: March 17 Bank Holiday

You can walk via Ebrington and across the Peace Bridge, although it is nearer to use the Craigavon Bridge (lower deck).

The Guildhall is hosting a food festival over the weekend, open 12 noon to 6pm on Sat, Sun and Mon:

www.derrycity.gov.uk/StPatricksDay/home

Mentioned in this post
Peace bridge
Peace bridge
1,052 Reviews
Derry, UK
Guildhall
Guildhall
759 Reviews
Derry, UK
3. Re: March 17 Bank Holiday

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 February 2015, 14:19