We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

time on antrim Coast, Derry, County Tyrone

Waterloo, Iowa
3 posts
Save Topic
time on antrim Coast, Derry, County Tyrone

My niece and I are traveling to Northern Ireland.One or more of her sons may come along. We had planned to land in Dublin, drive to Belfast, travel along the Antrim coast, View the Giant's Causeway, thenon the Derry and finally County Tyrone before heading back to Dublin. I don't like cities that much and planned to jjust stayone night in Belfast, overnight in Ballycastle/Bushmills,one night in Portrush,one night in Londonderry, visit the Ulster American Folk Park in County Tyrone and take a 3 hr. drive Starting in Omagh that travels through the hills and glens of Tyrone. Am I allowing enough time in County Tyrone? I thought we could do it inone day from Derry and get back to Dublin that evening. Are theregood places to stay in County Tyrone? My whole purpose in coming to Northern Ireland is that I think my ancestors originated in County Tyrone. I don't know exactly where they were born. I just want to see the area. Am I allowing too much time - 2 night -on the Antrim Coast. Thanks for any help you can give.

Mentioned in this post
Northern Ireland
Northern Ireland
United Kingdom
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Belfast
Belfast
Northern Ireland, UK
County Antrim
County Antrim
Northern Ireland, UK
Giant's Causeway
Giant's Causeway
9,287 Reviews
Bushmills, UK
Ballycastle
Ballycastle
County Antrim, UK
Bushmills
Bushmills
County Antrim, UK
Ulster American Folk Park
Ulster American Folk Park
821 Reviews
Omagh, UK
Derry
Derry
County Londonderry, UK
1 reply
North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,420 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: time on antrim Coast, Derry, County Tyrone

It's only about a 25-30 minute drive between Ballycastle and Portrush so if you're spending 2 nights, it would make more sense to maybe stay in one base for the 2 nights to save checking in/out? Bushmills to Portrush is maybe only 10 minutes' drive!

Is 2 nights too much? Totally depends on your interests. There is certainly more than enough to do but some may be a little weather dependent e.g. walks on beaches/, the waterfall walk at Glenariff Forest Park. The Bushmills Distillery, Dunluce Castle, Carrick-a-rede rope bridge are all popular places. Carrickfergus castle at the start of the Causeway Coastal route is a very well preserved Norman castle. Have a look at a couple of websites to give you more information:

http://www.causewaycoastandglens.com/

moyle-council.org/uploads/…202012.pdf

http://www.northcoastni.com/

Judging from your itinerary, your plan is

1 night Belfast (Belfast is a small city so although you don't like cities too much, it is on a lough and has Belfast hills behind it so it isn't a big overwhelming city)

2 nights Causeway Coast. This is good - it allows you a full day to drive to the Causeway area, take in the sights (remember if pushed for time that you can visit the causeway itself in the evening or early morning), then have another morning to see anything you missed before heading to Derry. Then afternoon - explore Derry city walls.

1 night Derry

Back to Dublin via Omagh.

I think a full day for County Tyrone is fine - especially when you are really just wanting a feel for the county and aren't wanting an in-depth exploration of a particular area. I would agree with your timeframe of 3 hours for the UAFP. It is a great place and 3 hours allows time to cover it plus have a coffee/lunch.

Another place I like is Beaghmore Stone Circles

discovernorthernireland.com/Beaghmore-Stone-…

megalithics.com/ireland/beagmore/beagmain.htm

omagh.gov.uk/culture_leisure_and_tourism/…

There are some drives around the Sperrins plus walks in the area if you prefer that.

sperrinstourism.com/scenicroutes/south.asp

Lots more information on the official discover northern ireland website

http://www.discovernorthernireland.com/

Mentioned in this post
Ballycastle
Ballycastle
County Antrim, UK
Portrush
Portrush
County Antrim, UK
Belfast
Belfast