We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

train travel?

Which Edinburgh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Pinetop-Lakeside...
Level Contributor
204 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
train travel?

How easy is your train/rail system to navigate? My sister and I are from Arizona where we don't use train travel. We want to visit Stirling Castle and maybe Blair Castle and are thinking about taking the train instead of paying a tour company a lot of money to drive us there. Are the trains reliable and how often do they run from Edinburgh to Stirling & back? Is there a place I should look for a train schedule? We would be doing our exploring on a Thursday in June.

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: train travel?

www.nationalrail.co.uk

It's all there....,

Level Contributor
2,951 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: train travel?

Yes, trains are reliable. We all moan about them a lot but on the whole they turn up approximately when they say they will and take you to the place you want to go.

Yorkshire, England
Level Contributor
295 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: train travel?

You may find www.scotrail.co.uk a good website. This is the train company that runs all trains within Scotland. Trains are very frequent and in my experience comfortable and reliable. The website will give you details of prices, schedules and any special offers.

Southampton
Level Contributor
4,182 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: train travel?

Millions of us use trains every day without thinking about it. It's not rocket science. What do you think is going to be difficult?

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
13,886 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: train travel?

www.scotrail.co.uk

Trains Edinburgh-Stirling run every 30 minutes during weekdays, hourly after 8pm and Sundays. Take about 50 minutes. Off-peak tickets valid after 0915 and are cheaper.

If you are visiting both Edinburgh and Stirling Castles get a Historic Scotland 3-day explorer pass, which costs the same and will give you a 3rd day free. You can break your return train journey at Linlithgow and visit Linlithgow Palace on the HS pass too.

You can also extend your train ticket to Doune by asking at the ticket office for a train ticket to DOUNE BUS, this includes the bus from Stirling to Doune and you can visit Doune Castle.

Pinetop-Lakeside...
Level Contributor
204 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: train travel?

Thank you everyone. I am so looking forward to my visit in June.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
428 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: train travel?

Hi, if you want more specific instructions on how to get to places, there is a great website called Travelline. Just search in the one for Scotland, and look in the "plan your journey" section. It gives you routes for buses, trains and even walking. Enjoy your visit

Pinetop-Lakeside...
Level Contributor
204 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: train travel?

Thank you so much. I think instead of doing Stirling and Blair we might do Stirling and Scone Palace. I want our last day to be kind of flexible.

In looking at the train schedule it looks like there are quite a few trains that go to Stirling and Perth so we should be able to do that fairly easily shouldn't we?

Pinetop-Lakeside...
Level Contributor
204 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: train travel?

"Millions of us use trains every day without thinking about it. It's not rocket science. What do you think is going to be difficult?"

I had a bad experience with trains and subways in Paris, France and don't want to repeat that experience again. I ended up in a bad part of town and had to walk to another location to catch a different form of public transportation to get where I needed to go.

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
13,886 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: train travel?

Trains Stirling to Perth are usually hourly (the Glasgow-Aberdeen service) with occasional additional services from Edinburgh. Check the Traveline Scotland website for onward bus services to Scone Palace.