We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Argyll Hotels and Guest House

Manhattan Beach...
Level Contributor
34 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Argyll Hotels and Guest House

For a family vacation with adult children, I am considering rooms at the Argyll Western Hotel, Argyll Guest House or Argyll Hotel, all in the West End. Is one better (more convenient, quieter, nicer) than the others? Argyll Guest House and Argyll Hotel appear to be near Kelvingrove Park, whereas the Argyll Western Hotel is near the botanical gardens. Thanks for your advice!

10 replies to this topic
glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
11,715 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Argyll Hotels and Guest House

All these hotels are set in older buildings, buildings that when originally built would have been large Victorian Townhouses, now converted.

Argyle Western is on Buckingham Terrace, which is set back slightly from the very busy Great Western Road (A82)

The other two, which are located opposite each other are on Sauchiehall Street 300 yds along from Kelvingrove Museum.

I couldn’t possibly comment on how comfortable one over the other is, having never been in any of them.

I’m just pointing out that if you like modern hotels, then these are not.

Manhattan Beach...
Level Contributor
34 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Argyll Hotels and Guest House

Thanks, Madscotsman115! I don't mind older buildings as long as everything works okay. In fact, I prefer some "character" in my accommodations. Between the two general locations (Buckingham Terrace and Sauchiehall Street), is one preferable to the other for restaurants, pubs, museums and other points of interest?

Level Contributor
497 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Argyll Hotels and Guest House

We are staying kelvingrove hotel from tomorrow, its in the same district... I will update after a few days if your interested.

Manhattan Beach...
Level Contributor
34 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Argyll Hotels and Guest House

Great, thanks so much, Scottishgrass! I would very much appreciate any observations you have after your stay.

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
11,715 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Argyll Hotels and Guest House

It’s a six and half a dozen scenario.

Sauchiehall St you have Kelvingrove Museum and Park on your doorstep, Argyle St runs parallel (100yds walk) and is where the “Finnieston Strip” is, a half mile oasis of Bars and Restaurants, approximately 20! It is also only a 10 minute walk into the City Centre.

Buckingham Terrace you are next to Botanical Gardens, Byres Rd/Ashton Lane which also has Bars and Restaurants, equal walking distance either way from the Hotel (8 mins) you have access to either Kelvinbridge or Hillhead Subway Stations for access to the City Centre.

Manhattan Beach...
Level Contributor
34 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Argyll Hotels and Guest House

Thanks again, Madscotsman115! It sounds like location will not be the determining factor. Thus, I'll need to compare the merits of the three establishments. I'd love to hear from anyone who has insight as to how they compare in terms of rooms, comfort, quiet/noise, service, etc.

Level Contributor
497 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Argyll Hotels and Guest House

First night at kelvingrove hotel, nice clean room, we have been allocated a family room so extra beds not being used. Guy on reception very good. On busy road but can hardly hear the traffic. Tv, tea coffee and lots of biscuits, hair drier and empty working fridge in rooms. Off sales and good restaurants near by... Will update further after we leave.

Edited: 12 January 2018, 14:01
Manhattan Beach...
Level Contributor
34 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Argyll Hotels and Guest House

Thanks, Scottishgrass! I think I am leaning toward the Argyll Western Hotel, near the Botanic Gardens. The hotel's location seems to be back from the street, which might make it a bit quieter. Do you share Madscottsman115's view that the two areas (near Kelvingrove Park and near Botanic Gardens) are equivalent, or would you have a preference for one over the other?

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
11,715 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Argyll Hotels and Guest House

For sheer choice of Bars and Restaurants then the Finnieston Strip can’t be beaten!

I drive along it several times a night and last week out of curiosity decided to count them!

On one side of the street alone I counted no less than 20!!! Never counted the other side but I reckon about a dozen!

Everything, Korean, Indian, Japanese, Thai, Italian, Spanish, Scottish, actually what is missing is a Chinese (there are a couple of Takeaways), plus 3 Scottish Themed Pubs as well as a few trendy ones.

If this is a factor to you then it’s worth considering!

Wait and see what Scottishgrass says!

Level Contributor
497 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Argyll Hotels and Guest House

Have posted my review of the kelvingrove hotel..

Excellent service.

Reply to: Argyll Hotels and Guest House
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted