We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rental car drop off location question

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
525 posts
85 reviews
Save Topic
Rental car drop off location question

I'm wondering where it makes the most sense to drop off an Arnold Clark car rental in Glasgow considering our circumstances. We would have rented it in Inverness and explored the Highlands (Skye/Mull/Glencoe etc) before heading back to Glasgow. We are overnighting at the Apex City of Glasgow on a Sunday night before flying back to the U.S. the next day. So I'm considering these possible choices: 1. Drop the car off in Stirling and train back to Glasgow. This would give us some time in a city we would not have visited during our trip, plu avoid Glasgow traffic, but we'd need to get from the Arnold Clark office in Stirling to the train station with luggage...but on the positive side the train would put us very close to Glasgow City Center and our hotel. 2. Drop the car off at the Glasgow airport...then bus into the inner city and Apex Hotel w/baggage. This would apparently require us to take a shuttle from the AC office to the airport, and then a bus into the city. 3. Drop the car off at the City Centre location on South Street, then probably cab to hotel. 4. Drop the car at the AC office on Allison Street. Then get to hotel. One last option would be 5. Return the car to the original pickup location in Inverness, then train back to Glasgow. While that would involve some back tracking and returning to Inverness, it would just require the train to put us back at the train station near our hotel. TOO MANY OPTIONS ! But I'm hoping to get advice, input, suggestions. All appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Inverness
Inverness
Scottish Highlands, UK
Glencoe
Glencoe
Scottish Highlands, UK
7 replies to this topic
Glasgow
Level Contributor
3,653 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rental car drop off location question

I would recommend South St which will be quite easy to find.

It is a little distance from the city centre but they will be able to call a cab for you.

Allison St would be more difficult to reach and would not be suitable.

Laval, Canada
Level Contributor
519 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rental car drop off location question

What we did was drop the car off at the airport..easy to find the AC office and there is a gas station shortly before the drop off location, making it easy to refill before drop off.

We were on our way within 20 mins.

AC drove us to the airport shuttle bus #500 (well, about a 2min walk from the stop), very easy to use.

You can buy a return ticket from the driver to save a few £

I think it took 30 mins. to the city centre.

Worked out great.

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
525 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rental car drop off location question

I forgot to mention that the drop off will be on a Sunday in case that makes a difference about traffic, rental car office hours, etc.

London
Level Contributor
11,398 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rental car drop off location question

Some Arnold Clark branches are open Sundays but check opening hours carefully, they won't be open late.

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
12,397 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rental car drop off location question

Stirling is a bit far to drop the Car, I don’t know where their Depot is in relation to the train Station which is in the City Centre, train thereafter would be about 40 mins and around £9 p/p

South St is not City Centre, it’s virtually on the Boundary of Glasgow near Clydebank, about a Tenner in a Taxi.

Alison St is in the Southside, Govanhill to be precise, not easy to get to assuming you are heading in from the North/Northwest, about £6 in a Taxi to your Hotel!

GLA, well you know what is involved already, although if you are coming down the A82 from Loch Lomond it’s a matter of nipping over the Erskine Bridge and into the Airport fairly easy.

That’s your options explained!

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
525 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rental car drop off location question

thanks . guess i’d better get out my map again. after ten days of driving in Scotland i should be more confident than i am now but for those of us used to driving in the right side of the road and from the left side of the car, switching that up us a bit nerve wracked t especially in urban environments.

Mentioned in this post
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
42,855 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rental car drop off location question

Firstly AC will generally drop you off at a train station under their T&C's.

It it were me and I was coming from the northwest I would use South St. as it is very easy to get to either from the Great Western Road or Erskine Bridge/M8/Clyde Tunnel. I would just get them to call you a cab. As MS said circa £10 to your hotel from there.

I wouldn't do the airport as they are not actually at the airport but about 10 to 15 minutes away in Paisley and if you did that then taking the train from Paisley would be better. Trains from there go to Central Station though so about another 10 minutes further walk than from Queen St.

If you take the shuttle to the airport then that is not free. They will charge you £8 to drop of there and go to the airport.

Actually if you wanted to see Stirling then dropping it off there is not that bad an idea. Their location is only 5 minutes drive from the train station - or at least it was as they are starting work on the railway bridge (or have already started?) next to the depot and it will be a detour round the houses to get to the station. Should not be a problem on a Sunday though.

Mentioned in this post
Glasgow Central Station
Glasgow Central Station
869 Reviews
Glasgow, UK
Reply to: Rental car drop off location question
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted