We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip to Glasgow with public transportation

Bogota, Colombia
Level Contributor
2 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip to Glasgow with public transportation

Hey guys,

I arrive in Glasgow friday and leave on sunday. It looks like there's not much "sightseeing" than going to museums and walking around, so i was thinkin in doing a day trip. I looked at a "och Ness, Glencoe & The Highlands" 12-hours day trip and althought the itinerary and price looks good, normally these trips are not really my thing, as you rush around places the whole day and spend more time inside bus than outside. Any other suggestions of places i can reach with public transportation? Somewhere with nature, please, and with tracks well indicated because I'll alone and getting lost in the middle of nowwhere in Scotland wouldn't be a nice souvenir hahaha Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Glasgow
Glasgow
Scotland, UK
Glencoe
Glencoe
Scottish Highlands, UK
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom
5 replies to this topic
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
3,065 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip to Glasgow with public transportation

Train will get you to Loch Lomond or down to the Ayrshire coast, or up to Pitlochry.

Loch Ness is ridiculously far away for a day trip.

www.scotrial.co.uk

Mentioned in this post
Loch Lomond
Loch Lomond
398 Reviews
Stirling, UK
Ayrshire
Ayrshire
Scotland, UK
glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
12,916 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip to Glasgow with public transportation

“Not much Sightseeing”?

If there is not much sightseeing why bother to come in the first place?

Obviously you haven’t done any research if you think there are only Museums, what exactly are you looking for? Disneyland!

To answer your question;

Train to Balloch from Queen St Low Level Station to Balloch, one every 30 minutes taking 45 minutes, £6 off Peak Return.

There you are at the Southern tip of Loch Lomond, scenic beauty and mild walking in abundance.

Mentioned in this post
Disneyland Paris
Disneyland Paris
Seine-et-Marne, France
Balloch
Balloch
West Dunbartonshire, UK
Loch Lomond
Loch Lomond
398 Reviews
Stirling, UK
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
43,993 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip to Glasgow with public transportation

>>It looks like there's not much "sightseeing" than going to museums and walking around<<

I think you have describes what 95% of people do when on city breaks. If you wanted to see the highlands then why didn't you stay there? Don't do a day trip to Loch Ness, it is way too far. As said Loch Lomond is on your doorstep and prettier.

So what does interest you? Castles, scenery, what?

Mentioned in this post
Loch Lomond
Loch Lomond
398 Reviews
Stirling, UK
Bogota, Colombia
Level Contributor
2 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip to Glasgow with public transportation

Heey guys, sorry, I didn't mean to be rude or offend anyone... The articles I read about the city talked mainly about museums and churches (not interested) and theatres and eating/drinking experiences (no money to pay for them). The points of interested I kind liked from these lists I can reach in one day, and still have time to "get lost" in the city's street for a while, that's why i thought about going out.

I'll check these places you mentioned, but Loch Lomond looks like a great idea! Thank you a lot!

Mentioned in this post
Loch Lomond
Loch Lomond
398 Reviews
Stirling, UK
uk
Level Contributor
6 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip to Glasgow with public transportation

A lot of the museums are free. If you want culture there are free organ recitals at Kelvin Grove museum. Also try Oran mor where for 10 gbp you can experience a very good play with a pie and a pint each lunchtime. There is a lot to do walking the streets and looking at the architecture. Try the free riverside museum, sailing ship and then walk back along the river

Mentioned in this post
Kelvin Hotel
Kelvin Hotel
332 Reviews
Glasgow, UK
Oran Mor
Oran Mor
661 Reviews
Glasgow, UK
Reply to: Day trip to Glasgow with public transportation
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted