We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

TUI Private transfer vs local provider -

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,790 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
TUI Private transfer vs local provider -

Hello everyone, just booked 2 weeks in Sept in Lindos Horizon. First time Lindos.

So , we are booked with TUI and definitely doing private transfers. TUI are offering one at €180 but I see on here local companies e.g. Impress fir €120. Why the difference ? Just sharp practice with TUI ?? Usually prefer to use the local providers where possible anywhere we go. Also does the TUI one just come at same time as coaches on the way back or can you opt to come early to get ahead of the queue ?

If anyone has experience of doing both be great to get your views

Thanks in advance.

Best Seller
Cliffs of Moher Tour Including Wild...
1,108 Reviews
from US$52.20*
Best Seller
Northern Ireland Highlights Day Trip...
960 Reviews
from US$75.40*
Best Seller
Book of Kells Early Access Tour with...
215 Reviews
from US$51.10*
6 replies to this topic
Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
1,546 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: TUI Private transfer vs local provider -

The very easy answer is the travel agents put huge markups on everything, just look how much they charge extra for tours.

Always go local, you get exactly the same service, if not better and for a fraction of the cost.

Get a private transfer and dictate your own time to the airport and plan to arrive earlier than the coaches that way you will go straight to the front if the queues.

I hire a car and drive back to the airport before the masses decend on the coaches and always breeze through checkin. Its quite comical watching people get off the coaches grab their luggage as fast as they can and sprint to check in. I would never do a transfer coach back to the airport

Edited: 13 June 2018, 20:32
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,790 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: TUI Private transfer vs local provider -

Thank you for confirming what I thought. I am a bit rusty on the package holidays as had a house in Turkey in a very Turkish area for many years so avoided all of that ‘mass market tourist ‘ feeling.

We never do ‘tours ‘ with TA and had given up on the ‘coaches ‘ 20 years ago always using private transfer. Just wanted to check the lay of the land in Rhodes and make sure our assumptions were correct !

Thanks again

Mentioned in this post
Rhodes
Rhodes
Dodecanese, Greece
Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
1,546 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: TUI Private transfer vs local provider -

Just to add there are some great agents in Lindos offering tours for a lot less than the TAs do. Worth looking at if you dont hire a car as there is loads to see on the island.

I have being staying around Lindos for 20 years now and always hire a car but there are still new things I visit on the island every year

Edited: 13 June 2018, 22:12
Wales
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: TUI Private transfer vs local provider -

Can anyone recommend a good transfer service to the Kiotari area in September please as TUI too expensive

Edited: 19 June 2018, 18:02
Merthyr Tydfil...
Level Contributor
23 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: TUI Private transfer vs local provider -

Hi Ireland....

Whichever method you use to get from the airport the only thing you need to know is that you have booked one of the best places in Lindos to stay. We have stayed at the Horizon for the last 2 years and had absolutely brilliant holidays there.

I would love to have been going back this year but my wife wanted to see Santorini so that’s where we’re off tomorrow- have a good hol

Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Santorini
Santorini
Cyclades, Greece
Lancashire, United...
Level Contributor
559 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: TUI Private transfer vs local provider -

I used Impress for our transfer to Lindos and return to the airport this month €120 return. Private cab and on time both from and back to the airport- would definitely use them again

Reply to: TUI Private transfer vs local provider -
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted