We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Luggage Storage in Recharge Shop still available?

Winterthur...
Level Contributor
3 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Luggage Storage in Recharge Shop still available?

Hi everyone

We'll have a couple of hours to kill between buses in Cork at the end of August.

I tried to find out about luggage storage but it seems to be difficult. I couldn't find any up-to-date information.

Does anyone know if the Recharge Store (which may or may not still exist, their homepage won't work properly on my Laptop) still stores luggage?

If not, any other ideas?

Cork.ie says Paddywagon, but I couldn't find any other mention of it.

Thank you very much for your help! It would be a shame to miss out on this lovely town just because we need to guard our bags!

Samy

6 replies to this topic
Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,546 posts
368 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Luggage Storage in Recharge Shop still available?

No recharge shop is closed but here is the info you need:

Just phoned Paddywagon and they do luggage storage. Open 7 days per week, 8am to 8pm. Cost per bag for the day €5 (or portion of the day). The office is about 10 minutes or less easy walk from the bus station and add another 5 minutes to the train station.

Address:

Paddywagon Tours LTD.

9 Bridge St,

Cork

Ireland

Telephone:

(+353) 21 455 7947

E-Mail:

cork@paddywagontours.com

Hours:

8:00am – 8:00pm (GMT)

Winterthur...
Level Contributor
3 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Luggage Storage in Recharge Shop still available?

Wow, Bryno, thank you so, so much for your help!!!

English is not my first language and I'm too scared to make phone calls, so you doing it for me unasked is very much unexpected and extremely appreciated!

If you ever have questions about anything around Zürich, Switzerland, I'm at your disposal.

Again, thank you! We're looking forward to seeing Cork!

Samy

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,546 posts
368 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Luggage Storage in Recharge Shop still available?

You're welcome and your English seems pretty perfect to me ;-))

Winterthur...
Level Contributor
3 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Luggage Storage in Recharge Shop still available?

We are back and we had a wonderful time in Cork and West Cork!

And here's our hilarious experience with Paddywagon:

We arrived at the Bridge Street Paddywagon office with our bags, quite confident, and asked for storage. The woman behind the counter seemed quite surprised, saying they were full as they only had very few lockers which they usually used for their own tour guests.

We were a bit taken aback and asked if there was anywhere else we could store. She said no, nowhere else at all. She was very firm about that.

We looked panicked enough (we had 4 hours to kill and two bags, heavy with stuff for a 2.5-week walking holiday, which would have been a nightmare to drag along) for her to reconsider, though, and after a bit of grumbling she let us leave the bags in a storage room for a 5€ per bag fee.

I wanted to ask her if they didn't store luggage as a rule or if it was just because they were full (maybe because it was the weekend), but as my spoken English (and my understanding of English) is nowhere near as good as my written English, we didn't understand each other at all, so I gave up after two tries.

So we just thanked her again, had a lovely stroll through the city and a fantastic meal at the Market Lane restaurant, then went back to get our bags.

The lady wasn't there anymore and the young man in charge couldn't have been more confused. "Left luggage?!?" he asked, as if he'd never even heard the term. We had to show him where it was kept and he kind of shrugged it off but clearly had no idea what was happening.

Anyway, we left, very happy that it had worked out in the end for us but also a bit confused about everything.

We boarded a bus to Bantry and while it was leaving the city, my boyfriend suddenly pointed out of the window "Oh, look, there's another Paddywagon here!".

And as we passed it, we noticed the huge sign in the window saying "LEFT LUGGAGE".

We laughed so hard.

It explained a lot.

The only thing it didn't explain was why the lady at the Bridge Street Office didn't know about the 'official' luggage storage in their Washington Street Office. She could have just sent us there, we would have been happy to walk the bit further!

So, luggage storage in Cork with Paddywagon totally works, but it's better to try their Washington Street office, probably makes things easier for everyone :-)

Again, Bryno, thank you so much for your help, we had a great time.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,546 posts
368 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Luggage Storage in Recharge Shop still available?

Hi, just seeing this now. Very frustrating for you. The interesting thing is that when I called them the guy on the phone was adamant that the Bridge street office was the better place to bring luggage, as it was closest to the Bus station and Train station (which makes sense). As far as I can recall, I believe he told me that the Washington Street office didn't store any luggage at all!!!!

I'll send them this link and ask them to clarify.

Glad you enjoyed your stay.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,546 posts
368 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Luggage Storage in Recharge Shop still available?

Thank you Paul at Paddywagon for a clarification email on the above and here is part of his response:

"We do offer luggage storage for people at both offices but generally the way that it works is that our Bridge Street office handles the luggage for people that are on tour with us, as all of our tours begin and end from here and the Washington Street office takes in all other luggage but that's not to say that Bridge Street won't take in bags for people, unless it is full of course. 

We do charge a cost of €5.00 per person per day or  until close of shop for storage and as far as i know we are the only ones within the City that offer this service"

Reply to: Luggage Storage in Recharge Shop still available?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted