We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 night near Cork airport

Level Contributor
26 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
1 night near Cork airport

Hi guys

We have 3 nights in Dublin , 2 nights in Dingle and then we have 1 night left to sleep somewhere close to Cork Airport. 1st town that stood out [ and most probably the one we will decide on ] is Kinsale. From pictures Kinsale and Dingle looks very much the same ? will we enjoy both or should we rather look at a non-coastal town to give us a whole different irish experience ? anything we missed or should I go ahead with Kinsale ? Much appreciated

9 replies to this topic
Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,543 posts
368 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 night near Cork airport

Yes, Kinsale is good, its about 15 miles from the airport - a very straightforward drive.

What time of the year will you be here?

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Cork
Level Contributor
3,145 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 night near Cork airport

How early is your flight?

Kinsale has the advantage that it is only 20 minutes from Cork Airport, and aside from maybe a minute waiting queuing at the roundabout at the entrance to the airport in the morning, traffic is never bad on the way. If you choose a town that brings you onto the N40, traffic is much more unpredictable.

I woudn't say Kinsale is all that similar to Dingle. The town is probably more interesting, but it doesn't quite have the level of scenery around the town. I do wish they would do more to make it more pedestrian friendly though.

Less touristy possibilities that still provide easy access are Crosshaven and Clonakilty.

Other than Cork itself and its satellite towns (Ballincollig, Carrigaline), the only inland town, which has ready access to Cork Airport is Bandon.

Edited: 17 August 2017, 21:53
Level Contributor
26 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1 night near Cork airport

thank you very much I think we should stick to Kinsale

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,543 posts
368 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1 night near Cork airport

I asked - what time of year?

pretoria
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 1 night near Cork airport

sorry about that , that would be November

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,543 posts
368 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1 night near Cork airport

Reason I asked what time of year is that Kinsale can be pretty dismal, in yes, you guessed NOVEMBER !!!

Well to be more specific from the beginning of November to the end of February kinsale hibernates (as does most of the rest of the country, apart from the city centres.). In particular Guesthouses and Restaurants use this time to take a break. Hotels will be open and most visitor sights in or near the larger cities.

There are 3 or 4 hotels in Kinsale which should be open in November but it's possible if you want to stay in a Guesthouse or B&B that it might not be.

Edited: 18 August 2017, 16:08
Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Cork
Level Contributor
3,145 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1 night near Cork airport

I don't find Kinsale as bad in November as some other tourist towns, on weekend nights at least. As tourism isn't the only game in town, it doesn't shut down as much, and the fact it is so close to Cork City keeps means enough nearby population that it keeps a reasonable amount of restaurants open.

Of the other towns I named, I would completely avoid Crosshaven in November.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
11,651 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1 night near Cork airport

Where is Lord Kimmage when you want him, lol.He won't believe it but ... Yes, I am going to recommend Kinsale in this case , normally , I avoid it , but in this case, it does fit the bill .

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
27,349 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: 1 night near Cork airport

Good for you Harv. But as I've always maintained, Kinsale is a destination not a one night stand.

Reply to: 1 night near Cork airport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted