We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

More Route Advice/Recommendations ;)

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
8 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
More Route Advice/Recommendations ;)

Hello, my husband has never been to Ireland. I have about 15 years ago (4 times, but always tours).

This is my rough draft of a potential schedule/route...

Sept. 9 & 10th:

Dublin - HOHO bus tour, Temple Bar, Grafton Street and St. Stephen's Green, walk around a lot...(no questions regarding Dublin)

Sept. 11:

Day tour to Belfast (+ approx 15Euro pp for black cab tour) + night in Dublin (no questions here either)

Tuesday Sept. 12:

Wicklow Mountains/Wicklow Gap & Turloch Waterfall (Braveheart scenes & P.S. I Love You)/Glendalough

Kilkenny & Kilfane Waterfall (stay a night, drink a Kilkenny, & see castle) - (Doesn't match this forum, but comments welcome)

Weds. Sept. 13: Rock of Cashel (just seeing & taking some pics., no tour), Cork (I don't recall being too impressed with Cork years back), Cobh (no tours, just whatever we can see on our own) ** (I'd say today & tomorrow are my biggest Qs**...stay in Cork or Cobh ... OR is there time to move on to Kinsale or Clonakilty for the night instead?)

Thurs. Sept. 14th: Potential stops today...Killarney, Lakes of Killarney, Kenmare, Dingle, Ring of Kerry OR Beara Peninsula, Glengariff? (stay in Kenmare or Dingle??) - BUSY DAY I KNOW! :/ - I've read about driving counterclockwise around Ring of Kerry, skipping Ring of Kerry for Beara Pen. instead...hmmm - Major advice needed here as we don't want to cut ourselves short for the next 2 days...right? ;)

Fri. Sept. 15th: Cliffs of Moher, Galway (stay in Galway)

Sat. Sept. 16th: Connemara National Park & BnB in Clifden

Sun. Sept. 17th: More Connemara time as needed & drive back to Dublin - no stops planned between Galway & Dublin - unless I find some of my distant relatives in Roscommon or Longford, but unlikely at this point 😝

Mon. Sept. 18th: Fly home in AM

~~~~~~

About us...priorities are scenic, trad music, variety in food, friendly people - not tours. I'm a professional photographer. So scensory & visual please. 😊

Thank you in advance for your kind input!

17 replies to this topic
Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
8 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: More Route Advice/Recommendations ;)

BTW...in reading my own post over again, I'm thinking that we should stay in Kenmare on the 14th and head to Dingle on the 15th on our way to the Cliffs of Moher...🤔

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
3 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: More Route Advice/Recommendations ;)

In response to your questions about Cork. Accomodation would really depend on your budget, between Cobh and Cork there is a beautiful hotel called Fota Island, also nearby is Castlemartyr Hotel both 5 star. If you would prefer the city, Hayfield Manor is amazing, its on the doorstep of the university which is a great place to visit. In Cobh I would take a boat trip to spike island, it was once a prison but now a visitor centre. There is also the titanic visitor centre in Cobh itself. You arent staying long in Cork so its hard to recommend much. If you go to the city there is the English market, UCC, the bells of Shandon. Elizabeth fort has amazing views of the city, there is a fabulous Japanese take away near there called Miyazaki. St Finbars Cathedral is also nearby.

Reno, Nevada
Level Contributor
2,164 posts
265 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: More Route Advice/Recommendations ;)

The train from Cork-Kent Station to Cobh is a fun 25 minutes with a stop at the FOTA Wildlife Park. You can take the train to Cobh versus driving and walk the town and/or stay and then take the train back to Cork-Kent. FYI - Cork-Kent Station is also a stop along the path of the Hop-On, Hop-Off Tour Bus.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
11,941 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: More Route Advice/Recommendations ;)

Tuesday will be long. Kilfane Waterfall won't be open in September. It's only open to the public daily from 11am to 6pm from July 1st to August 31st.

Why not consider seeing Kells Priory instead?

megalithicireland.com/…20Kilkenny.html

Estero, Florida
Level Contributor
69 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: More Route Advice/Recommendations ;)

I just blogged on our top 10 highlights from our 16-day Ireland road trip. http://wp.me/p6xsQy-Fy

Beyond the day trip to Belfast, try to make it to the amazing Antrim Coast for the Giant's Causeway and more.

We liked the Dingle ring more than Kerry but our top highlight was going out to Skellig Michael near the Kerry Ring. We loved the Greenmount House in Dingle, and Dingle itself.

There is nothing in Cork except for the fabulous Hayfield Manor!

Make sure to get total car coverage for your rental, and get the smaller car you can that fits your needs...!

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
8 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: More Route Advice/Recommendations ;)

@ miriamcork - Thank you for your accommodation recommendations. ;) I looked into them and while they are beautiful, we are definitely on a lower-budget trip for Ireland. We save our 5-star for when we escape Canadian winters for a sun destination. ;)

Do you have advice for Titanic visitor center & the local cemetery? Again, as stated above, we don't need tours or museums...just self-guided come & go sights. 👍🏼

Edited: 20 August 2017, 12:17
Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,568 posts
367 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: More Route Advice/Recommendations ;)

Re this:

"Do you have advice for Titanic visitor center & the local cemetery? Again, as stated above, we don't need tours or museums...just self-guided come & go sights"

The Titanic Experience in Cobh, is a guided tour, you can't do a self tour there, check the website for opening times and prices. The Old Church cemetery is a mile north of Cobh so you will need a car to get there. Alternatively get a taxi to drop you there and come back, say, an hour later. The cemetery is interesting, and has the remains of some of the 'Lusitania' victims and also the remains of Jack Doyle, Irish Boxer, Actor and Tenor with a very colourful past. There is no entry fee to that graveyard.

There are a number of activities that you can do in Cobh but none of them are free and self guided.

Cobh Heritage Centre a.k.a The Queenstown Story

Titanic Experience

Spike Island walking tours

The Titanic Trail Walking tour.

There is also a little road train running at certain times of the year which does a circuit of the town.

There is a tiny museum located 5 mins walk from the town centre in an old church. Google Cobh Museum

There is a charge for all of the above visitor sights.

The only sight that is free to visit is St. Colmans Cathedral, which is well worth the trek. A stunning Cathedral, with superb views of the Harbour. A donation for the upkeep of the cathedral is suggested at the entrance but not enforced.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
11,941 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: More Route Advice/Recommendations ;)

" Nothing in Cork?" Really ? I'm sorry , but that's just plain silly . Just because you didn't explore thoroughly , you cannot dismiss an entire city and county .

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
8 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: More Route Advice/Recommendations ;)

@ Eddie L. - Thank you for the suggestions. :) We will have a rental car & will be coming from an overnight in Killarney (which will have been after a day in Wicklow area/Glendalough) with acouple hour stop in Cork. Won't be adding in Fota Island this time, but do want to confirm that driving ourselves vs. taking the train is doable. We will either be staying in Cobh or Kinsale for the night.

Cork
Level Contributor
181 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: More Route Advice/Recommendations ;)

Hi there, Cork city is nice to see but very small and you would see it in a few hours, if I was to pick somewhere scenic I personally would select beautiful Clonakilty. It's stunning also has the superb Inchydoney Beach. People are lovely and there is always great music on in Debarras Pub or An Teach Beag (Small House) you could drive the coastal route to Clonakilty from Kinsale, just lovely. If you enjoy whiskey then a visit to Midleton the home of the Jameson Distillery is a must, this is where I live and there is a great selection of restaurants. Clonakilty is an hour from Midleton and you could combine this with Killarney, West Cork is beautiful. But you can't do everything personally I would just select a few places rather than trying to do to much it is a holiday after all !!!

Need any more suggestions please contact me,

Reply to: More Route Advice/Recommendations ;)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Cork
Recent Conversations