We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cork Trip: December 2017

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
4 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Cork Trip: December 2017

Hi! my husband and I will be traveling to Cork in December; we are planning to Drive from Cork to Dingle and then to the Cliffs or Mohr and back to Cork. We are staying the night in Dingle and then also I believe in Doolin near the cliffs. What are the best things to see/do/eat etc along the way to and from? Also is there another better place to stay/see than Doolin near the cliffs of Mohr? thanks so much!

9 replies to this topic
Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
11,969 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cork Trip: December 2017

Ok, slow down a bit, what dates will you be here?How many days do you have? December means many attractions may be closed and the weather and short daylight hours need to be factored in.

"The best things" are totally subjective. what are your interests? Be aware that the Cliffs may be fog bound or that there may be no access to the site due to weather.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
4 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cork Trip: December 2017

Hi! we are going to be there from December 27- 30th (flying to London very early on the 31st) thanks for your help! My husband I really just wanted to drive around and see as much as we can... we like going to pubs, sites, local things etc, does that help? thanks!

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
27,782 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Cork Trip: December 2017

I'd stick with the larger towns if I were you.

Maybe two days each in Cork and Killarney.

Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
11,572 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cork Trip: December 2017

With less than 8 hours of daylight and most things closed between Christmas and New year Lord K has the sensible answer. Don't plan to go further than Killarney.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
4 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cork Trip: December 2017

thanks!! what are your favorite things in Cork and Killarney?

County Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,825 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cork Trip: December 2017

In Cork: The English Market, Shandon Bells, Sin É pub, Jameson whiskey distillery in Midleton, Crawford Art gallery, Lewis Gluxmann gallery, Kinsale

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
4 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cork Trip: December 2017

thank you!

Ireland
Level Contributor
31 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cork Trip: December 2017

I would do Kinsale and Clonakilty in Cork. Charles Fort and West Cork Railway Village are local attractions respectively and make for a great day out.

For Killarney, Torc Waterfall is beautiful.

Ireland
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Cork Trip: December 2017

You could definitely go as far as Dingle which is not summer busy but far from quiet around New Years but I would try to travel along wild Atlantic Way rather than the main Cork Killarney road. The weather will be a factor but you could drive to Kinsale, onto Clonakilty, Skibbereen, cross over to Bantry, Kenmare and across to Killarney. You would see a nice mix of landscape. It depends whether you want to simply drive and see the landscape with town pit stops or go for walks and see buildings etc.

Reply to: Cork Trip: December 2017
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Cork
Recent Conversations