We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accomodation near Cork University Hospital

Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Topic
Accomodation near Cork University Hospital

Hi,

My Dad took bad whilst on a cruise & is now in Cork University Hospital. My Mam is currently staying in a hotel near the airport but insurance company say that if she is covered they will not pay the taxi fare to allow her to visit him (They are in their 70's) Can anyone recommend a nice hotel or B&B near the Hospital please?

5 replies to this topic
County Dublin...
Level Contributor
27,734 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Accomodation near Cork University Hospital

Your mother should contact the hospital for a list of local accommodation.

Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
8,036 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Accomodation near Cork University Hospital

From the hospital web site, confirming lordkimmage's suggestion:

cuh.hse.ie/Patients-Visitors/…

'Local Area Accommodation: A list of B&Bs and hotels in the local areas is available from Main Reception.'

Contact Numbers for Cork University Hospital:

http://www.cuh.hse.ie/Contact-Us/

All the best to both your Dad and your Mam.

cork
Level Contributor
193 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Accomodation near Cork University Hospital

Right across the road from the hospital there is accommodation provided by a charitable organistion for people in your mothers situation. It's very high quality and very convenient. http://www.brucolumbanus.com/

I would suggest either ringing them directly or asking the ward sister if your mum would qualify for a room there.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,568 posts
367 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Accomodation near Cork University Hospital

I'm late to this thread but let me tell you about a couple I met recently who needed emergency accommodation for about 4 weeks while in Cork City.

The lady fell in Cobh and broke her femur while visiting Cobh on a cruise ship. She was hospitalised and needed surgery and was in hospital for four weeks.

Her husband, after spending the first few nights in standard hotel/B&B accommodation (his first night cost him €170!) was referred to Brú Columbanus (already mentioned above) which is only about 10 minutes walk from the CUH (Cork University Hospital). Accommodation was provided for him in this modern building, which included his own room with en suite and TV. It is a self catering unit and a kitchen is available to guests.

He could not speak highly enough of Brú Columbanus. The cost - nothing. He only had to pay a nominal fee for the use of his key card and this was returned to him when he checked out.

His wife was moved to the Victoria Hospital later which is further away from Bru Columbanus but there is a good bus service in that area anyway so it was not a problem.

For anyone else who finds themselves in a similar situation in any Cork Hospital, you should talk to the person in charge of the ward about your circumstances. If they can't help go to reception office and ask for help there.

Edited: 20 October 2017, 16:13
Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
11,941 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Accomodation near Cork University Hospital

Thanks for that , Bryno, great to have up to date local information.

Edited: 25 October 2017, 07:14
Reply to: Accomodation near Cork University Hospital
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Cork
Recent Conversations