We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Galway to Ashford Castle

Saint Charles...
Level Contributor
3 posts
132 reviews
Save Topic
Galway to Ashford Castle

Any suggestions on how to get to Ashford Castle from Galway? We are visiting just for the day and would like to avoid renting a car if at all possible.

Mentioned in this post
Ashford Castle
Ashford Castle
2,023 Reviews
Cong, Ireland
Galway
Galway
County Galway, Ireland
Best Seller
Cliffs of Moher Tour Including Wild...
1,103 Reviews
from US$57.70*
Best Seller
Aran Islands and Cliffs of Moher Day...
350 Reviews
from US$46.10*
Best Seller
Cliffs of Moher Day Trip from Dublin
1,336 Reviews
from US$57.70*
Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
60,522 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Galway to Ashford Castle

Are you staying overnight at Ashford? I know you say you're "visting for the day", but the place is really more of a hotel than a sightseeing destination.

You can probably catch a bus from Galway to Cong, where Ashford Castle is located. It would be a fairly long trip I would think, and I'm not sure how the schedule would work out for a day trip.

Mentioned in this post
Ashford
Ashford
Kent, UK
Galway
Galway
County Galway, Ireland
Cong
Cong
County Mayo, Ireland
Ashford Castle
Ashford Castle
2,023 Reviews
Cong, Ireland
Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
9,003 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Galway to Ashford Castle

Would you consider an organized Day Tour of Connemara and Cong:

www.galwaytourcompany.com/gtc/tourinfo.jsp…

www.galwaytourcompany.com/gtc/daytours.jsp

No mention- that I can see - of a public transport option on Cong Tourism web site.

http://www.congtourism.com/

I believe there used to be a Galway city to Cong Bus connection; no longer seems to be the case.

Mentioned in this post
Connemara
Connemara
County Galway, Ireland
Cong
Cong
County Mayo, Ireland
Galway City Hostel
Galway City Hostel
191 Reviews
Galway, Ireland
Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
20,108 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Galway to Ashford Castle

Think the Cong Bus is seasonal but would still leave a walk.

An option is taking the Corib Cruise from Oughterard but I wouldn't be going out of my way for Ashford in the first place,

Why?

corribcruises.com/index.php…

Mentioned in this post
Cong
Cong
County Mayo, Ireland
Ashford
Ashford
Kent, UK
Galway,Ireland
Destination Expert
for Galway
Level Contributor
1,795 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Galway to Ashford Castle

There is some nice scenery there but not worth the strange bus times,waiting and walking in my opinion, id sooner take a bus out to Clifden or Spiddal etc and enjoy the views there.

Mentioned in this post
Clifden
Clifden
County Galway, Ireland
Saint Charles...
Level Contributor
3 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Galway to Ashford Castle

Thanks for the suggestions - my dad wants to visit and see Annette Griffin (sp?) at the castle. We won't be staying overnight and I thought we could get there somewhat effortlessly from Galway - we'll see!!

Mentioned in this post
Galway
Galway
County Galway, Ireland
Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
20,108 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Galway to Ashford Castle

There is no easy way other than an expensive cab ride if you are looking to go for an evening recital. Cheaper to rent a car.

Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
9,003 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Galway to Ashford Castle

Hello Julie,

It seems the Bus Eireann - Galway to Ballina Bus # 52 makes one stop per day at the gates to Ashford Castle.

The bus leaves Galway city at 12 noon and arrives in Cong (Ashford Castle gates) at 12.46pm. The return (Ballina to Galway) would be from Headford, roughly ten miles away at 7.03pm (19.03).

There also seems to be a Westport to Galway service (leaving Westport at 3pm and arriving in Headford at 4.11pm (1611).

See if it makes more sense, when you look at the timetable:

www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1278083998-52.pdf

Maybe the person you are meeting could drop you and your Dad off in Headford? Or, point you in the direction of a hackney/taxi service that would offer a decent rate...

If this time doesn't suit you and your Dad, how about catching Burke's Bus to Headford (stop is at Joyce's Supermarket) and return from there as well?

Burke's Bus leaves Galway at 8.20am, again at 2pm (also at 5.35pm). Buses leave from Headford at 8am; 10am and 4pm.

These times for Burke's Buses are all for Monday to Friday.

http://www.burkesbus.com/times.php

(Saturdays, Sundays and Public Holidays for Burke's Buses and Sundays and Public Holidays for Bus Eireann will have fewer and different timetables).

One final thought; you can always combine both bus services; one outwards and the other inwards!

Mentioned in this post
Galway
Galway
County Galway, Ireland
Ballina
Ballina
County Mayo, Ireland
Ashford Castle
Ashford Castle
2,023 Reviews
Cong, Ireland
Galway City Hostel
Galway City Hostel
191 Reviews
Galway, Ireland
Cong
Cong
County Mayo, Ireland
Westport
Westport
County Mayo, Ireland
Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
9,003 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Galway to Ashford Castle

Mea culpa. I really got the wrong end of the stick with my response above. I did not see Tony's post ahead of mine and, did not know that Annette Griffin was an entertainer at Ashford Castle.

No bus will get anyone back after an evening/night performance. Either that expensive trip by taxi or stay locally in a B&B; or, splash out on a night at the castle.

Or, get a very good deal from a hackney company, instead of using a taxi.

Mentioned in this post
Ashford Castle
Ashford Castle
2,023 Reviews
Cong, Ireland
Saint Charles...
Level Contributor
3 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Galway to Ashford Castle

Thanks so much for everyone's help! We are looking into a hackney company or possibly adjusting it so we just rent a car for the day. Can't wait to get to Ireland!!

Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Galway
Level Contributor
141 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Galway to Ashford Castle

Do make sure that Annette is performing on the evening/night you visit. I know that there is a pianist also, so ring a few days ahead. I am sure you can come to some arrangement with a Hackney company. I imagine a 24 hour hire of a car in Galway would be more economical though, and you could make a day trip of it, driving to Cong, and even go beyond for some Connemara scenery, on to Leenane maybe. Not sure what time of year you are visiting, but make sure to get there in day light, and walk around the lovely grounds. Also, as its a 5 star hotel, it does say residents only at the door, so again it would be useful to explain you are coming to see Annette and so they will be expecting you - when you phone in advance. Good luck with your quest!

Edited: 14 March 2012, 19:27
Mentioned in this post
Galway
Galway
County Galway, Ireland
Cong
Cong
County Mayo, Ireland
Connemara
Connemara
County Galway, Ireland