We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sim local store in Dublin Airport

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Sim local store in Dublin Airport

My 18yo is traveling solo to Ireland from States for study abroad this summer. She apparently will do well to get a local SIM card for her Blackberry in the airport for cheaper phone service in country. She will be landing at Terminal 2 and I believe needs to go to Terminal 1 to find SIM local store. Is this a big process? She'll have traveled basically 20 hours at that point before arriving at Dublin Apt. Any tips to make process easier? (warnings?) thanks

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,819 posts
43 reviews
1. Re: Sim local store in Dublin Airport

If she is staying for a while, she doesn't need to buy it at the airport, but can pick one up close to her accommodation or elsewhere.

I think only Vodafone are in the airport.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,608 posts
182 reviews
2. Re: Sim local store in Dublin Airport

Tesco mobile offer the best rates for her to call the US http://www.tescomobile.ie/ most students seem to opt for Meteor http://www.meteor.ie/

I know several students who keep a Tesco SIM for calling home and a Meteor SIM for staying in touch day to day with friends.

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
3. Re: Sim local store in Dublin Airport

Thank you. I think she'd like to get this accomplished, but perhaps she finds a Vodafone in Galway. The Dublin Airport folks emailed that Vodafone no longer in airport, but SIM local is.

I will look up other Vodafone locations.

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
4. Re: Sim local store in Dublin Airport

Thank you. I will explore whether she NEEDS a Vodafone SIM card or can go with another brand. Verizon in US and Vodafone have some agreement ... not sure if that means Vodafone product (at SIM local store) is only/best option. Seems very pricey!

Dublin
Level Contributor
3,297 posts
6 reviews
5. Re: Sim local store in Dublin Airport

If whatever solution you decide requires your daughter to go from T2 to T1, it's a very short walk via connecting passageway as both terminals are side-by-side.

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
6. Re: Sim local store in Dublin Airport

great news. thank you!

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,819 posts
43 reviews
7. Re: Sim local store in Dublin Airport

Blackberries are pretty weird, so general advice about phones isn't always relevant. But presumably you understand your own device.

You could pick up a SIM on E-bay, albeit at some extra cost. This way you can set things up before you go and you'll know your number. Once again some Blackberry specific issues may arise.

Galway, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Galway
Level Contributor
1,801 posts
188 reviews
8. Re: Sim local store in Dublin Airport

Just get her to go to the Carphone Warehouse stores in Galway and ask in store what her options are. They offer the three major providers services. There are three stores, one on Shop St, one in the Eyre Square Shopping Centre and one in the Galway Shopping Centre.

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
9. Re: Sim local store in Dublin Airport

will do. thank you.

10. Re: Sim local store in Dublin Airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 June 2013, 12:40
Get answers to your questions about Galway
Recent Conversations