We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Newgrange or Knowth?

ny
Level Contributor
637 posts
201 reviews
Save Topic
Newgrange or Knowth?

We are heading to Newgrange from Dublin. If you only had time to visit one tomb, which one would you see and why?

Mentioned in this post
Newgrange
Newgrange
617 Reviews
Donore, Ireland
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Folsom, California
Level Contributor
368 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Newgrange or Knowth?

Knowth is closed until Easter. I visited Newgrange this past Monday. It was impressive.

Mentioned in this post
Newgrange
Newgrange
617 Reviews
Donore, Ireland
ny
Level Contributor
637 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Newgrange or Knowth?

Thanks, easy decision now!

Muskego, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
79 posts
217 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Newgrange or Knowth?

Not sure if this is useless info at this point for steady but we did both and if you could only do one, definitely choose Newgrange since you can go through the entire passage. You can only go in a little bit at Knowth.

Mentioned in this post
Newgrange
Newgrange
617 Reviews
Donore, Ireland
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
170 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Newgrange or Knowth?

I did Newgrange and Knowth last summer. The guide at Knowth was so enthusiastic and eager to share her knowledge that the tour was excellent. She welcomed questions and had a great discussion with some German architects. The tour of Newgrange was given by two young women, possibly students on summer holiday. They followed a script and could not answer any questions beyond what they had learned off. It was very busy and we were herded in and out. If it's just a case of ticking off an attraction, then Newgrange is the obvious choice but if you want a bit more, Knowth was great.

Mentioned in this post
Newgrange
Newgrange
617 Reviews
Donore, Ireland
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,589 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Newgrange or Knowth?

I've been to Newgrange about a dozen times in the past few years with various visitors. I've always found the guides there to be informative and knowledgeable. None of their 'spiels' was exactly the same and it certainly didn't feel that any of the guides had just learned them off by heart. All of the guides actively encouraged questions and quite a bit of their contribution was delivered inside the tomb itself. Also, there's only ever been one guide with each of the groups I've been part of. In general, I find the OPW guides to be very knowledgeable and enthusiastic about the sites to which they are attached and it would be very disappointing if they were now hiring guides who were reading from a script.

Mentioned in this post
Newgrange
Newgrange
617 Reviews
Donore, Ireland
Cavan
Level Contributor
4,542 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Newgrange or Knowth?

Anyone visiting Newgrange would normally allow themselves a couple of hours by the time they book in for the tour and bus. I think the guides give a pretty good description of the tomb and it's history, certainly adequate for most peoples needs. There are also books available at the visitor centre for anyone who wants a more indepth history.

Mentioned in this post
Newgrange
Newgrange
617 Reviews
Donore, Ireland
Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
14,748 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Newgrange or Knowth?

We visited many OPW sites when we were in Ireland in April (and if you plan to do so, get the Heritage Card!) Like Tapl, we were impressed by all of the OPW guides that we had. Not only were they knowledgable about the places they were talking about, but many of them were such good speakers that they sounded like they were "storytellers". They sure kept our attention! For instance, our guide at Newgrange had been fortunate enough to be inside the the tomb more than once for the Winter Solstice and her description of the event was wonderful.

Since we visted before Easter, we did not have a choice of going to Knowth, but I would say that the highlight of our visit to Newgrange was being able to go entirely inside the mound.

Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Newgrange
Newgrange
617 Reviews
Donore, Ireland
8. Re: Newgrange or Knowth?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 November 2009, 14:24
Get answers to your questions about County Meath