We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pub Grub type restaurant

Chicago suburbs
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Topic
Pub Grub type restaurant

We're going to be taking a large group (20 or more) to dinner next month. We're looking for good casual food, not fine dining.

Any suggestions for a place that can accomodate a group that large (with reservations, of course) where we can have a pint and a good time without bankrupting ourselves?

We're going to be staying in and around Kentstown so Navan would probably be best. But we're willing to go anywhere in the area.

Thank you!

Mentioned in this post
Navan
Navan
County Meath, Ireland
Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
9,360 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pub Grub type restaurant

CAPH, this probably won't suit you but I'll mention it to you anyway.

Any time we find ourselves on the N2 we visit the Hunterstown Inn. It's just outside of Ardee in Co. Louth, about 30 km from Navan. So probably too far for you to go.

Telephone: 041-6859933.

From your description this looks like the kind of place you're looking for. The food is quite nice and the service very friendly.

I'm sure there are pubs closer to Navan that would suit you but I'm afraid I can't think of one at the moment. Someone else might be able to help you out.

Mentioned in this post
Navan
Navan
County Meath, Ireland
Ireland
Level Contributor
916 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pub Grub type restaurant

Hi CAPH52,

How about O'Briens in Johnstown. It's on the outskirts of Navan on the Kentstown road, about 5 mile. Its a good family restaurant/bar, lively for groups.Phone 046 9020555. We've had several family events there. Hope this helps. B

Mentioned in this post
Navan
Navan
County Meath, Ireland
Chicago suburbs
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Pub Grub type restaurant

Thank you very much, Clauds! You're right that it's probably a bit farther than we want to go. But, just in case we wind up not finding anything closer, it'll be good to have it in mind.

Before I posted this, I'd looked at Ryan's Pub on the County Meath tourism site. And since I posted, I've seen it mentioned in two different guide books (Lonely Planet and Footprint Ireland). So it seems to be fairly well regarded. But there are no prices on the website. And I'd love to hear from someone who's actually been there. Am also wondering whether it would be appropriate for the small children we'll have with us.

Again, thank you, Clauds. I'm off to try to find a website for the place you recommended!

Mentioned in this post
County Meath
County Meath
Province of Leinster, Ireland
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Chicago suburbs
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Pub Grub type restaurant

Thank you, bikes tour! You must have been posting as I was responding to Clauds.

I saw O'Briens on the County Meath website but wasn't sure exactly where it fell in terms of fancy/casual.

I really appreciate your recommendation. And am especially happy to hear that you've eaten there with large parties. And it's okay for families? I didn't think about it when I first posted this morning, but we'll probably have 4 young children with us.

Mentioned in this post
County Meath
County Meath
Province of Leinster, Ireland
Chicago suburbs
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Pub Grub type restaurant

I'm sorry, bikes tour, I just noticed that you specifically mentioned "family". It does sound like just what we're looking for! Thanks again.

Ireland
Level Contributor
916 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pub Grub type restaurant

Hi CAPH,

I've looked it up for you, try this ireland-guide.com/establishment/obriens_good…

Yes, we've had children there, but not late in the evening.(gone by 9pm I suppose)

Ryans in Navan is good, we've also had family events there, but only when booking the function room privately. The pub is good for adults.

The Loft is great for food too, not a pub though. Maybe another night.

Tip: Send the little ones home in a taxi with one of the responsible adults after the meal, and the irresponsible adults can head off to the Palace Bar for a late night dance/drink!

from Bikie (a seldom-responsible, often-irresponsible parent!)

Mentioned in this post
Navan
Navan
County Meath, Ireland
Chicago suburbs
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Pub Grub type restaurant

Thank you very much, Bikies! You've been very helpful.

I doubt we'll be out later than 9:00 anyway as some of our party will have flown in that morning. So it sounds like we should be fine with the kids.

I appreciate the info about Ryan's and The Loft too.

Ireland
Level Contributor
3,584 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Pub Grub type restaurant

CAPH52

If you are staying in Kentstown - another option would be the Snailbox at Kilmoon Cross (about 5 miles from Kentstown) could be a good choice. www.snailbox.ie

Good food and extremely child friendly. Good safe are for them to have a run around. I had friends had a christening there last weekend and the kiddies had a ball.

If you wanted an 'extra' treat for the kiddies - puddenhill is practically across the road with a nice kiddie playzone to tire them out before bedtime!!

www.puddenhill.com.

Actually - that could be a perfect place to eat, drink, play and have fun for all of you - check it out as well. Now see they have bbq's for groups of 20 or more (look on their restaurant link)

Chicago suburbs
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Pub Grub type restaurant

Sounds great! Thank you very much, LittlePumpkin!

10. Re: Pub Grub type restaurant

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 November 2009, 14:35
Get answers to your questions about County Meath