We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moynalty Steam Threshing

Cavan
Level Contributor
4,542 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
Moynalty Steam Threshing

Another fantastic event for entusiasts of all things 'olde', the 2009 Moynalty Steam Threashing event is on Sun.9th August and is one of the best events of it's kind.

Check the website: http://www.moynaltysteamthreshing.ie

Guernsey, United...
Level Contributor
5,199 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Moynalty Steam Threshing

Cavan

That looks super! Thank you for bringing it to our attention.

Only wish I were holidaying in Ireland this summer!

:-)

Mentioned in this post
Cavan
Cavan
County Cavan, Ireland
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Ireland
Level Contributor
916 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Moynalty Steam Threshing

Yeah, I agree, that's a good day out. I've been several times. The whole pig roasting on the spit is something my other half looks forward to:-)

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
5,248 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Moynalty Steam Threshing

We attended this yesterday and I have to say it was just a fantastic day out. We arrived around 1pm and the work was well under way. I was at a threshing day years ago in Clare but it was nothing compared to the scale of this.

The hubby had a field day looking at classic cars, we tried the roast pig for a fiver. It was the most succulent pork I'v ever had apart from the stuff I tried at a summer Solstice party in mayo some years ago :-)

The Local museum is a credit to the local committee with some great objects on display. Everything was extremely well organized and well run. My other half said that it would put the organization of the ACDC concert in Punchestown to shame!!!!!

Met and talked to some great characters including "The FlaxMan" Eugene McConville from Co Down and a family who had a pet lamb called Angel on a lead who was extremely well behaved and was turning heads with her pretty pink knitted cardy and her doggy friend in tow :-)

The weather was great, the entertainment was excellent and yes I would recommend anybody to catch it next year.

The highlight for me was watching the old binding machine in operation. At least thats what I think it was. I'm not old enough to have seen one in action before! ;-)

www.youtube.com/watch…

Mentioned in this post
County Clare
County Clare
Province of Munster, Ireland
County Meath...
Level Contributor
3,344 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Moynalty Steam Threshing

Its fantastic to see these kind of events again.The threshing would have played a very big part in my childhood growing up as my grandfather & gran uncle were fanatics & had all their own equipment.Luckily my Uncle & cousins & my own son are showing a great interest & we regularly have these events down this way !A great day to give the old Lanz Bulldog a day out !!

Great memories....

5. Re: Moynalty Steam Threshing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 February 2010, 15:21
Get answers to your questions about County Meath