We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dublin to Oldcastle by public transport

London
3 posts
Save Topic
Dublin to Oldcastle by public transport

I am planning a trip to Ireland in October with my mum. We are going to be based in Dublin but want to visit Oldcastle and the surrounding area for a couple of days (as it is where my mum's family come from originally). Could anyone suggest a good route from Dublin to Oldcastle using public transport - neither of us can drive!

Thank you

Rosie

Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Oldcastle
Oldcastle
County Meath, Ireland
London
3 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Dublin to Oldcastle by public transport

Hello,

I just saw these new posts and thought I would give you an update. I did indeed travel to Oldcastle with my mum in October 2009. We got the bus from Dublin and changed in Virginia as recommeded by gablues we even had a nice cup of tea and piece of cake in a cafe (can't remember the name - sorry) in Virginia.

In Oldcastle we stayed in a room above the Fincourt, which was great and even managed to meet some family (my mum's cousin) who took us for a drink at Smiths and Owen Traynors. We walked out to the Loughcrew cairns for a glimpse of ancient Ireland. All in all we had a really good time. Thank you all for your helpful suggestions.

Mentioned in this post
Oldcastle
Oldcastle
County Meath, Ireland
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Libertyville...
Level Contributor
2,079 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Dublin to Oldcastle by public transport

Glad to hear that you had a good visit!

Westport, Ireland
Level Contributor
264 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Dublin to Oldcastle by public transport

I did not see the date of your visit riotmoore, but I am glad you had a nice visit here. There is a nice cafe near the bus stop called Mason's Apron, might be the place where you had tea?

14. Re: Dublin to Oldcastle by public transport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 August 2010, 13:16
Get answers to your questions about County Meath